Idling problem after rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idling problem after rebuild

Yesterday I cleaned my carbs and replaced the worn out orings on the needle jets and the air screws. While I had them apart I checked the float height. Now I read that the float height on my carbs should be +/- 23mm. Before I adjusted them they were at 20mm. I did this because my oil smelled like gas and I heard that was due to the floats not being adjusted correctly.
    I put em back together and adjusted the air screws to 2.5 out (rookie mistake; didn't check to see where they were set to before I tore apart my carbs, but i think thats what your supposed to set em at).
    When I fired up my bike It Idled fine at first then climbed to 37-4,000rpm. Turned It off adjusted the Idle screw. Same thing.. oh yeah and it won't start unless the choke is all the way on.

Beware, you will get many replies. There are alot more things that need replacing than just the o-rings on needle jets and air screws! You have intake air leaks. Search these forums and you will quickly discover the stuff you overlooked in your carb teardown.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Have you seen these?

There is a downloadable manual for you bike there i think

Comment

Did you do a proper cleaning of the carbs including dipping them? Did you bench sync them? Where you measure on the floats for height matters a lot, the manual should tell you where to measure. I should be on the carb with no gasket and on the lower part of the float IIRC.

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead13 View Post
          Did you do a proper cleaning of the carbs including dipping them? Did you bench sync them? Where you measure on the floats for height matters a lot, the manual should tell you where to measure. I should be on the carb with no gasket and on the lower part of the float IIRC.
          i keep reading about people doing a "bench sync" and I'd love to know what that means and how to do it since I'm a few steps away from putting my newly rebuilt carbs back on my 82 850gl.

Comment

Working...
          X