Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

open airfilter. hose from engine to airbox. plugged or unplugged?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

open airfilter. hose from engine to airbox. plugged or unplugged?

I'm thinking to do something I don't know anything about

I have open airfilter laying for my GS 750 -77 and my question is about the hose/tube from the engine to the airbox. Should I plugg this or should it be open?

Hi,
    Leave it open,
    I run mine in a catch can, or you can put a small filter on the tube.
    Marc
    https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ie_twisted.gif AIR COOLED MONSTERS NEVER DIE https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ie_twisted.gif
    1978 GS1000C X2
    1978 GS1000E X2
    1979 GS1000S
    1979 gs1000
    1983 gs400e

Comment

It has to be able to breathe to relieve crankcase pressure like Marc says..Just put a small air filter on the end of the tube to keep stuff from getting sucked backwards into the engine and having bugs crawl in too. And also a small bit of condensation and oil MAY drip out the end so thats a purpose for the filter too....
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Hi,

Something like this (clkick the pic):

DennisKirk.com has a few different types of breather filters. Some chrome, some not.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Cylinder head breather

Hi guys, thanks for answering this persons question, I had a similar query with my GS/GSX hybrid when the air box wouldn't fit and I used pod filters. At least I now know to put some tubing on to the head and just run it into a catch tank.Cheers again!! Johnny

Comment

Is this a good thing to do even if you are still running the stock airbox? My previous bike was a Buell 984cc and running the crankcase (actually came off of the heads) to atmosphere instead of the airbox resulted in much better off idle response. The amount of crap the catch can collected was incredibe.

Comment

Originally posted by NoH2Oh View Post
              The amount of crap the catch can collected was incredibe.
              DUDE...you did mention that you were running a Buell. Gonna have some blow by on a revamped Hardley! JK

Open air, if you have the bike (engine) set up that way. The only reason
              Suzuki did that in the first place was to make the EPA happy...

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
                DUDE...you did mention that you were running a Buell. Gonna have some blow by on a revamped Hardley! JK

Open air, if you have the bike (engine) set up that way. The only reason
                Suzuki did that in the first place was to make the EPA happy...

Wow, that hurts...revamped Hardley? Man, I loved the lump in my Buell just hated the fact that she decided to grenade a rod bearing at 12K miles (2007 model) and that the issue is/was not a rare one. Erik Buell and his SMALL group of engineers did a hell of a job making the Sportster engine into the XB. Problem is they still had to have HD make the darn thing....

Comment

Originally posted by NoH2Oh View Post
                  she decided to grenade a rod bearing at 12K miles (2007 model) and that the issue is/was not a rare one.
                  That kind of quality was to be expected in 1929 when that engine was designed.
                  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Never ever seal any piston engine crankcase vent. Doing so will build high pressure and will pump oil out of every seal and gasket turning the engine into an oily mess or even worse could happen. Dan

Comment

Working...
                    X