High idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High idle

I have a 1982 GS650E, It was wanting to idle around 4000 rpm. I fixed all the usual things that I have found on here using the search function on this forum. Boots, O-rings, dipped the carbs and cleaned them, sealed the air box good but just couldn't get it to idle down.
    I was just going to put it back together and push it to the back of the garage and tear it down this winter. I started putting the carbs back in and took the barrel type keeper at the end of the throttle cable in the throttle rocker assembly whole and let it return. As I let it return it felt like the barrel keeper was hitting part of the carb body,I took it loose and ground part of the barrel off a little,maybe 1/8 of an inch or less. Reassembled it and let throttle return and that was enough to to clear the body and it gave me that 1/8 inch to adjust the idle.
    The bike runs great and idle adjust responds the way it should.
    I am adding a pic of another set of old carbs I have and showing the part of the body that the barrel keeper( Don't know if thats the proper term) was hitting with a white X.
    Might be because it was an after market cable with a wider keeper than normal, Anyway hope this might help someone else.

Thanks for info! It's nice that you persisted and posted, as this could be a good object lesson for others.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
    X