Float Bowl Gaskets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Float Bowl Gaskets

I'm looking at buying an '83 GS550ES from a local seller that has onlt 11,900 kms on the dial. The bike is all original, no mods, but my worry is that the carbs may be gummed up a bit from lack of use. I have some estimates for carb cleaning service, but a concern is that the float bowl gaskets may need to be replaced.

Would anyone have a resource for replacement carb float bowl gaskets and other odds and ends that may be needed? OEM or after market is fine.

Welcome to the site. Basscliff will be along later to formally welcome you but if you do a search on here you'll find tons of good information to get them cleaned up by yourself. Trust me, it's easier than it seems.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Welcome !!!!

Take a few days and read everything you can here, there's literally years of info.

Carbs are easy to clean, dip and rebuild yourself. Bowl gaskets are a snap to find. Good Luck with your impending purchase.

Larry D
      1980 GS450S
      1981 GS450S
      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

z1enterprises, babbittsonline, bikebandit just to name a few. BassCliff's welcome has lots of vendors and parts sources listed, as well as instructions on rebuilding the carbs yourself.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I have already gone through the picture tutorial of carb cleaning and rebuilding on this site and that helped. Lots of little bits to keep track of but otherwise looks reasonably simple.

I've made the seller an offer this morning and he's mulling it over. Time will tell if I'm back on a Suzuki soon or not.

Comment

Yep, it's pretty easy. Most folks use those aluminium muffin tins to keep things organized. An egg carton will work too. Dip each carb for at least 24 hours, the can of Berrymans says 30 minutes, but, 24 hours will ensure that they are clean, then blow them out with some compressed air.

Be careful removing the float pins, the posts snap easily.

Carb cleaning is kind of a rite of passage here.....
            Larry D
            1980 GS450S
            1981 GS450S
            2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Working...
            X