Advice based on plug pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice based on plug pics

Can someone tell me if these look hot (obviously not the last one) and if so give some advice. 1 & 3 look hot to me but I'm no expert. Now I do need to get the boots, o-rings etc. (just got the bike) but can't afford it as of yet and don't want to burn anything up in the meantime (don't say "don't ride"...not an option). Pics are in order 1-4 and bike details are in sig. Thanks in advance.

Stock jetting with a K&N pipe would explain the lean plugs. The blue on the pipe in the background of the first picture is another symptom. Hopefully you haven't burned anything up yet.
    Whether it's an option or not, don't ride it.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

what main jets are you running, you should have bumped the main up a couple steps.

Does it pull to redline? That is the proceedure for jetting.

You should show a pic of all 4 plugs together , with them angled so we can see down the insulator.

The insulator looks VERY white ( lean), but there is a rim of soot like maybe someone richened the idle screws

Comment

All right...it is an option but I really wanna be up and riding this thing. I've only rode it twice for a total of less than 10 min since installing the K&N. The V&H was on the bike when I purchased it. The stock air filter was degrading and I know the general rule of thumb is to increase breathing on both sides of the engine not one so I bought the K&N. I guess I'm pulling the carbs today. For what it's worth, here is a pic after I brought the bike home and first started wrenching on it (had to install homemade valve cover gasket). Pipe is already blue so it looks like I didn't do it and I'm assuming caused by improper jetting with V&H??

Comment

Originally posted by capnkirk13 View Post
          All right...it is an option but I really wanna be up and riding this thing. I've only rode it twice for a total of less than 10 min since installing the K&N. The V&H was on the bike when I purchased it. The stock air filter was degrading and I know the general rule of thumb is to increase breathing on both sides of the engine not one so I bought the K&N. I guess I'm pulling the carbs today. For what it's worth, here is a pic after I brought the bike home and first started wrenching on it (had to install homemade valve cover gasket). Pipe is already blue so it looks like I didn't do it and I'm assuming caused by improper jetting with V&H??
          The good news is your carbs come off in about five minutes on that model, and there is a dynojet kit available for it. Enjoy doing it right.
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

POSPLAYR: Not sure what jetting the carbs have as I haven't pulled them yet. Haven't pulled it to redline yet either as I wanna make sure the bike is gonna hold together first. I had to replace the valve cover first thing as it had about a drip per second leak. I couldn't afford one so I made my own but I've got the new gasket and half moons ordered. I have taken it up around 7 after installing K&N and it pulls good and steady up to 4-4500 then takes off...fun fun. That wasn't at WOT either. I'll take new pics of plugs. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              The good news is your carbs come off in about five minutes on that model, and there is a dynojet kit available for it. Enjoy doing it right.
              Great news! Thanks for your help and I agree on the doing it right thing. The previous owner thought the leak was coming from the small bolt at the front of the block above oil filter and was going to pull the bolt and put some sealant on it. I said "please don't...I'll be by to pick it up shortly". Here's a pic of the leak.

Comment

These are off mine and there were just about right on the AFR( used an Innovate O2 sensor so I know). Look mainly on the one on the right. The left oen got wet from leaving the petcock on.

These plugs were placed side by side angled slightly in and a closeup to fill FOV with camera in MACRO mode.

In reality you need to look way down inside of the plug doing chops so we are just trying to keep you from burning valves at this point.

Comment

While I know the urge to ride is strong, you should do some basic maintenance and get your jetting corrected before going very far.

Your bike has the dreaded PO syndrom (he didn't know what he was doing). That poor bike has been abused, how old are those tires?

Go here and do some reading

You need a minimum of valve adjustment (before) and carb sync (after you get the carb jetting corrected)

The group consensus is that you'll need a Dynojet or Factory jet kit for your carbs. Sometimes, you can raise the needle and install bigger jets with the factory air box.
                  1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                  1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                  1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                  1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                  1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                  1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                  2007 DRz 400S
                  1999 ATK 490ES
                  1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                    These are off mine and there were just about right on the AFR( used an Innovate O2 sensor so I know). Look mainly on the one on the right. The left oen got wet from leaving the petcock on.

These plugs were placed side by side angled slightly in and a closeup to fill FOV with camera in MACRO mode.

In reality you need to look way down inside of the plug doing chops so we are just trying to keep you from burning valves at this point.
                    OMG..
                    you have done burnt the tips of those plugs to a point.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                      OMG..
                      you have done burnt the tips of those plugs to a point.
                      Sparky is OK

Comment

Did you oil the K&N filter ?? AN extra application of K&N filter oil may help

Comment

Nice name......

Definitely too lean. If you have a ColorTune available, it will tell you PDQ whether or not you are running too lean at idle. High speed.....the quick 'n dirty test is; find a deserted stretch of road, run through at least 3 gears WOT up to redline, in third, while at redline (still WOT) pull the clutch and hit the kill switch & coast to a stop. Pull over, let the engine cool a bit, pull any plug and check the coloring....it should reflect full throttle jetting under load. I've been able to correct several jetting problems on different machines simply by upping the pilot jet size.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                            Do you have a part number for that DynoJet kit or is it the Stage 3 one I see on their page? The reason I ask is that they don't show a Stage 2 and I thought Stage 3 was for more aggressive modifications, pods etc.

Comment

So I pulled the carbs yesterday (not in 5 min...maybe with more practice), opened the float bowl and pulled the main jet. It's a 115 so I'm asssuming the pilot is stock also therefor there is no point in posting anymore plug pics till I get this addressed. It looks like I don't require a Stage 3 kit so I figure I'll start by bumping up 2 sizes on the main (120) and 1 size on the pilot (42.5) and probably have to shim the needle jet. Let me know if I've got this wrong as I have looked at so much in the past couple of days my head is spinning.

Taking apart the carbs now.

Comment

Working...
                              X