No announcement yet.

Advice based on plug pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My son's '81 850 has a pipe of unknown origin and a K&N insert in the stock airbox. We have 120 mains and stock pilots in there, I don't remember if I shimmed the needles.

Don't have any pictures of the plugs, but it runs great.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      My son's '81 850 has a pipe of unknown origin and a K&N insert in the stock airbox. We have 120 mains and stock pilots in there, I don't remember if I shimmed the needles.

So is that with the stock needle? If so he doesnt need to buy the jet kit.

Comment

Foiled for the time-being by a stuck lower gang rail screw.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
          So is that with the stock needle? If so he doesnt need to buy the jet kit.
          Yep, stock needle.

My comment was not intended to solicit help with my son's bike, it was intended to show capnkirk what has been done
          (and apparently works) on a similarly-equipped '81 850.

sigpic
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Yep, stock needle.

My comment was not intended to solicit help with my son's bike, it was intended to show capnkirk what has been done
            (and apparently works) on a similarly-equipped '81 850.

I was inferring from your comment that the OP would not need a jet kit; this is in contract to most 1100's that do require a swap to the DJ needle.

Comment

Notice the lack of small o-rings next to the small brass riser on the middle two carbs? Is this normal? I would assume not.

And yea...I'm a little p!$$3d about those three fubar'd screws.

Comment

BTW Steve, your sons pipe is in fact a Jardine. Terry has its twin in his garage right now...

Comment

Use a carbide zip wheel to cut a slot in the screw head. A large standard will walk those screws right out of there.

Comment

Yea...unfortunately all my air tools including cutting wheel are at my other place. Won't happen tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                      BTW Steve, your sons pipe is in fact a Jardine. Terry has its twin in his garage right now...
                      Thanks.

It's nice to finally know what it is.

sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride

Comment

Thanks.

It's nice to finally know what it is.

nope...not me.
                        i traded it for a bologna samich tonight...YUM!

Comment

Originally posted by Captainkirk View Post
                          Use a carbide zip wheel to cut a slot in the screw head. A large standard will walk those screws right out of there.
                          Or you could use the propper JIS screwdrivers on them and never have this problem again

Comment

Meh, convert the lot to stainless for about $5. You'll wonder why you never did it before.

Anyway, the 120 jetting for pipe and K&N filter sounds about right. The stock airbox on these is very restrictive, but also makes the engine very smooth. I ran pods on mine with a 4-1 exhaust. Jetting ended up with 140 mains; about a 20% increase over stock.

Cheers - boingk

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                              Or you could use the propper JIS screwdrivers on them and never have this problem again
                              I'm pretty sure I used the right driver as the rest came out fine. The PO had already screwed these up (pun intended). I just got the bike and will be replacing as much of these philips with stainless allen as possible.

Comment

Working...
                              X