Header to muffler connector gasket- the cheap way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Header to muffler connector gasket- the cheap way

I began looking for this part, used to seal exhaust gases on the outside header pipes where they enter the muffler. The going price is around 25 to 30 dollars each, and you need two!

I went on a nice ride to my favourite country store. They sell gasket material off the roll, intended to seal the doors of wood burning heaters and stoves. Braided material in different widths and thicknesses. I bought three feet of quarter inch by one inch gasket strip, complete with peel and stick glue, for $1.95 a foot. This was enough to do both sides twice.

In my shop I removed the two outer headers, and gently bent the tabs on the muffler end out to give a bit more room. I wound on the new gasket strip to the header in the same position as the old connector gasket, which I had cut off. Trimmed them with scissors. Fitted them together with a little persuasion because of a nice tight friction fit. The clamp tightened down firmly,slightly compressing the gasket material, achieving a solid gas tight fit.

Not bad for 5 bucks, and works just as well as the expensive OEM part. Who says bush mechanics don't do a good job?

Nice job.

By the way, they are only $17 at PartShark, but be glad you don't have an 850, they require FOUR of them.

The outer pipes are welded to the mufflers, but there is a crossover between downpipes 2&3, there are gaskets on the inlet and outlet of both pipes.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Was this gasket material metal or some kind of fiber?

I don't suppose you have a pic handy?

Thanks for a great idea!

Comment

It was the fiber kind off the roll in the hardware store. There were several widths to choose from-I used the quarter inch. A picture wouldn't help, as I also used it to seal between the header and muffler after a muffler replacement.For the muffler connection, I covered it with a ready made exhaust pipe reducer, and an exhaust clamp, which in turn is covered by the heat shield.The whole set up is strong, tight, and removable. If you wanted to, it could be welded, and then painted for rust prevention.
        Last edited by Guest; 06-06-2011, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Awesome, thanks!

I confirmed that my local hardware store has the stuff, so we'll see how it goes!

Cheers,
          Josh

Comment

Thanks for the tip, Mac10.
            I have two systems with cobbled-up mid pipes that are in need of attention.
            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

What is your local hardware store? The ones here in Vancouver have been relatively fruitless. We're not exactly in woodstove territory up here. I found another product called CatGard from Condar systems. Catgard is a 1/16" thick, mica filled gasket material that expands to twice it's size on heating. I have yet to find a supplier in Canada, and the word back from them was to contact their office to order.

CatGard is the trademark for Condar Company’s expanding gasket for wood stove combustors.
              '83 GS650G
              '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Working...
              X