Confirming vac leaks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confirming vac leaks?

So, i split one of the carb boots open using a regular hose clamp, since I misplaced one of them. Ironic, how I damaged a boot while waiting for a new, fresh set to come in, huh?

SO i replaced it with an old boot I had, which had all the rubber on it, and was somewhat pliable.

I still have an airleak somewhere, I guess, it hangs after it warms up, and if I'm sitting at a light, sometimes it'll rev up to 2000 by itself for a 10-15 seconds, and back down to regular idle. By the time I got her home, she would hang pretty bad coming down to idle, and when it did get down, idle would drop slowly and bog. When you start her up, she's fine, revs wonderful, no hanging!

Here's the catch, all my plugs are black with soot, possibly fouled? They still provide clear blue spark when I ground the plug.

Carbs are cleaned, valves adjusted (some on the loose side), carbs cleaned in dip and ultrasonic, starts easy (needs no choke), all pipes are hot within 2 minutes. It's a GL, so the airbox isn't really "sealable", but all connections/clamps are snug and tight. New petcock hasn't arrived yet, so old petcock is on prime and port on #2 is plugged. carbs are synced as well, with a set of calibrated vacuum gauges. (had to return the carbtune to a buddy... )

I attempted to pull plugs one at a time and maybe isolate the hanging. If I pull #2, it won't hang anymore, and just come down to a low idle before I shut it off. When #2 is plugged into the coils, and any other plug is out, it'll hang... Leak found?

Should I just order a whole new set of boots? any other things to check?

Is carb no. 2 the one that has the vacuum line to activate the petcock? Could look at that vacuum line for leaks/cracks.

Comment

Originally posted by dr_fosg8 View Post
      Is carb no. 2 the one that has the vacuum line to activate the petcock? Could look at that vacuum line for leaks/cracks.

Yes it is. I cut the line real short and plugged it with a rubber stopper to eliminate any cracks along the excess line.

Comment

Okay, so I got some vids uploaded.

This one is the awkward idle. Vac leak anyone?

This one is the knocking sound I get everyonce in awhile. I think it's the starter somehow, that's where the sound seems to be coming from. When it knocks, it seems to "skip" a beat. Idle dips for a split second when it does, almost like it didn't fire?!?! Only hear it at idle, never when riding.
        Last edited by Guest; 08-30-2010, 04:57 AM.

Comment

You are lean. That sound, sounds like backfire through the carb and intake. I dont know enough about the CV Mikuni (I have the VM) to suggest where the leak maybe comming from.

Comment

Originally posted by raistian77 View Post
            You are lean. That sound, sounds like backfire through the carb and intake. I dont know enough about the CV Mikuni (I have the VM) to suggest where the leak maybe comming from.
            How is it backfiring though? did I endup swapping ALL the plugs, lol?! Lean as in an intake leak lean, or the carbs are set lean?

Comment

probably carbs are lean. I know when mine is lean it makes that funny popping noise like yours is. A way to tell for sure is to put you hand on the air box, if it is backfire you will feel it through the air box.

Comment

Working...
              X