Drilled baffles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drilled baffles

One of the baffles on my 550 began to rattle and start making a slightly deeper tone. I decided to drill a few holes in he end caps of both exhaust pipes. I achieved a nice mellow deep tone and I don't feel any adverse changes in performance. I had someone tell me that I am going to have to change the carb jets so I don't burn a valve. Has anyone else modified stock exhaust and NOT changed jets?

Yeah, but they either sold the bike and don't know what happened to it or they kept it and burnt the valves themselves.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      Yeah, but they either sold the bike and don't know what happened to it or they kept it and burnt the valves themselves.

Do you want to explain or are you just tring to be funny?

Comment

try just changing the needle one notch should balance it out a bit and keep you from burning a valve. just look at your plugs too see how its been running. that will tell you a lot.

Comment

The stock exhaust with a few holes in the end "shouldn't" need a jet change. Maybe a bump to the jet needles as mentioned.

You'll know if you start feeling flat spots in the 3000-5000 range...

Steve was being funny.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
            The stock exhaust with a few holes in the end "shouldn't" need a jet change. Maybe a bump to the jet needles as mentioned.

You'll know if you start feeling flat spots in the 3000-5000 range...

Steve was being funny.
            Thank you, I thought Steve was being funny but I wasn't sure because we have never met.

I took the bike out for a 70 mile ride through some nice twisties and climbed from just above sea level to just above 1200 ft. So far I haven't felt any flat spots. I'll be checking the plugs from time to time.

Comment

How is your drill job holding up? I have a 78 550E too, and am looking for a a little more noise

Comment

I have drilled my stock exhaust. I have drilled all the dimples in the caps. I haven't changed any jets but I am still running the stock airbox. I've been riding like this for two years with no problems. And it sounds real good.

Comment

What is so "funny" about an honest answer to a question?
                  Originally posted by Maddog209 View Post
                  Has anyone else modified stock exhaust and NOT changed jets?
                  My answer merely gave to possible scenarios:
                  Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  Oh, the should be a dead giveaway that I was deadly serious.

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
                  Steve was being funny.
                  Again, just offering two scenarios.
                  Originally posted by Maddog209 View Post
                  Thank you, I thought Steve was being funny but I wasn't sure because we have never met.
                  You are just one of the lucky few.
                  sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

I had a stock exhaust setup with lots of holes due to rust (both header and exhaust). Changed it with a 4-1 header and an GSX-F exhaust that I had. I haven't changed anything to the carbs but assume that this exhaust swap is WAY better than running a stock setup with lots of holes...

It runs better (steady power at all rpm) but will check the plugs as well...

and yes, Steve can be funny (while being dead serious) (and I haven't met
                    him either...maybe because we live like half a world from each other)

Comment

I drilled the exhaust on my 650 as well.

Sounds pretty badass, especially when you get into the higher RPM's....you can just tell it's a classic Jap bike, lol.

What even sounds Better, is when you let off the Throttle and you cross around 4k....WOW that baby is Deep and Loud!

My only problem is at Idle, sometimes it will sound kinda goofy or flimsy, unless you remove that thin piece of metal....guess it's a small shield or something?

Also, seems like I lost a lot of my top end....

I'm probably going to Jet larger.

Comment

Originally posted by gert du prez View Post
                        I... (and I haven't met
                        him either...maybe because we live like half a world from each other)
                        Yet another of the "lucky few".

sigpic
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                        X