new to the site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new to the site

hi all im new to the site, i actually have a gt125 that i ride. but im doing a bit of work on a gs 550 (1980) for someone, the problem i have diagnosed is this, there is no fuel to the cylinders, the intake boots look to be sealed and there is fuel to the float chambers, will i have to remove the carb bank and reseal them? and when removing the carbs do i have to take like everything off the bike. hope someone can help with my problems

Welcome !!!

Yes, the carbs have to come out.

Here is the link to the fantastic carb cleaning series.

Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Lucky you ! make sure the "someone" pays attention. Is that Swansea, MA or some other more distant locale?
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Cleaning the carbs, new O rings and probably new intake boots are pretty much standard for a 30 year old bike

That, along with a valve adjustment and carb sync, can bring new life to the machine.

Get a service manual from BassCliff's website
        Last edited by Big T; 08-31-2010, 06:37 PM.
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. scubabiker,

Just follow the tips, suggestions, and links in your "mega-welcome" and you'll be just fine. Let's get started.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

stripped the carbs yesterday looks like they have been done recently, the intake seals looked new too.guess im gonna go get some feeler guages to set clearences. only got a small bit of spanner rash removing the carbs, well pleased. oh tom, im in swansea wales very far from where you think!

Comment

well the problem (the main one) i that the carb manifolds where all missing the blanking plugs! (the ones for syncing the carbs). it still wont start but i think i will strip clean and reseal all carb parts etc

Comment

Originally posted by scubabiker View Post
                well the problem (the main one) i that the carb manifolds where all missing the blanking plugs! (the ones for syncing the carbs). it still wont start but i think i will strip clean and reseal all carb parts etc
                Sounds like PO got frustrated and/or careless - you're on the right track and will sort it out.
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
                X