float woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

float woes

gidday guys,my 77 gs 550 is almost complete but i noticed fuel comming out of the over flow at the bottom of the carbys so i removed them and set the float levels to 24.5mm and refitted. Numbers 2 and 4 carbys are good but in order to stop the overflow to 1 and 3 I had to gradually increase the float level to 30.5 Could the nos 1 and 3 floats be faulty? or is this natural. shouldnt they all be the same? thanks guys regards,steve

Hi,

Yes, the valves and seats do wear out. And with float heights set like that you may starve your engine for fuel. One of the ways to stop leaking carbs is to replace worn parts with OEM valves and seats. For more tips, see the page below.

Overflowing Carbs

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

thanks

thanks guys i had my suspicions that that the floats were the problem especially after removing the carbys 3 times! ill have to order them from the states as there is no supplies over here, regards, steve q

Comment

Do you have brass floats?

Take the floats out of the carbs, shake them a bit to see if there is any gas sloshing around inside them.

If you hear or feel some gas in there, hold them in a pot of water, look for bubbles rising from a hole. That hole needs to be soldered shut after draining the gas inside.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

thanks,no the floats appear to be of a plastic nature,ill start searching bike bandit for replacement floats im pretty sure its got to be the floats as ive replaced all jets/needles/orings etc also do you think that i could get some pilot fuel screws from somewhere as i noticed that 3 of them have the tips worn down regs, steve

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
            Hi,

Yes, the valves and seats do wear out. And with float heights set like that you may starve your engine for fuel. One of the ways to stop leaking carbs is to replace worn parts with OEM valves and seats. For more tips, see the page below.

Overflowing Carbs

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
            I pullled my needle valves and found that the o rings on the brass barrel was bad
            orse on one but both leaked.

dunno if yours are fitted wit an o ring but if the valves were leaking then adjusting the floats would not help much.

100 bucks for mine ouch

Comment

Originally posted by steveq View Post
              thanks,no the floats appear to be of a plastic nature,ill start searching bike bandit for replacement floats im pretty sure its got to be the floats as ive replaced all jets/needles/orings etc also do you think that i could get some pilot fuel screws from somewhere as i noticed that 3 of them have the tips worn down regs, steve

Floats will be fine as they are a solid plastic design. You need the needles and seats. Get ready for a sticker shock mine were 30.00 a piece for the needles . Don't get aftermarket they never seem to seat right.

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
                I pullled my needle valves and found that the o rings on the brass barrel was bad
                orse on one but both leaked.

dunno if yours are fitted wit an o ring but if the valves were leaking then adjusting the floats would not help much.

100 bucks for mine ouch
                A hundred bucks for -- what, exactly?
                and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
                __________________________________________________ ______________________
                2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Originally posted by robertbarr View Post
                  A hundred bucks for -- what, exactly?
                  Two OEM needle valves and seats

the brass seat tube thing has an o ring on it these are decayed and clearly leaking as I dripped a bit of cleaner on the joint and it quickly disappeared.

Comment

thanks for the help guys-i think were on the right track.i replaced the needle valve and seat on all 4 carbys a while ago, but i seem to remember that the seats originally had a brass washer. The new ones that i fitted had a red fiber washer. Ill take the carbys off the bike tonite and check. It could be something as simple as a missing washer- just for clarification,should the seats have.......A-an oring.......B-a metal washer or C- a fiber washer? regards,steve

Comment

The older slide carbs do not have an O ring.. Just the fiber washer. Make sure you are adjusting the floats correctly - refer to the carb repair section. The replacement float needles will work about $20 for a set, from Z1. They need to seat to the old valve some times which may take a week or two. All floats should be adusted the same!!

Comment

on the right track

hey guys took your advice. i removed the carbys and sat them in my bench vice.i removed the float bowl on the good carbys and looked at the needle seat (numbers 2 and 4) they had a fiber washer and were the factory issue with the original needles. then i examined numbers 1 and three,the needles and seats were aftermarket with a very suspect washer,i replaced them with the original factory issue and put an oring on to replace the suspect steel washer, adjusted the floats back to 24mm and tested by pouring fuel down the primer tube. number 1 is perfect and only a slight leak on number 3 so tomorrow ill install them and try a test ride(im still sceptical after so many failed atempts!)thanks heaps for all the help its like having a pit crew 24/7!ill keep you posted as to the outcome regards,steve

Comment

Originally posted by steveq View Post
                          hey guys took your advice. i removed the carbys and sat them in my bench vice.i removed the float bowl on the good carbys and looked at the needle seat (numbers 2 and 4) they had a fiber washer and were the factory issue with the original needles. then i examined numbers 1 and three,the needles and seats were aftermarket with a very suspect washer,i replaced them with the original factory issue and put an oring on to replace the suspect steel washer, adjusted the floats back to 24mm and tested by pouring fuel down the primer tube. number 1 is perfect and only a slight leak on number 3 so tomorrow ill install them and try a test ride(im still sceptical after so many failed atempts!)thanks heaps for all the help its like having a pit crew 24/7!ill keep you posted as to the outcome regards,steve
                          By George, I belive you are on the right track

Comment

Working...
                          X