Winterization-carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
    Blower, I understand what you are saying but should I still put some Stabil in or should I do something else if I want to continue riding?
    If you can ride once a month or more, just park it on the centerstand and ride when you can. Don't take it for a short spin, give it a good long ride especially the last ride before it sits a while. It takes time to cook the water out of the oil, a short ride leaves some water in the oil. The part about combustion byproducts and water forming acid is true. How much water depends on the climate, it's dry here especially in winter so there's not much condensation to worry about. Ohio is probably more humid. Top the gas tank off after every ride to keep condensation from collecting in the tank. I haven't winterized a bike in years, but I try to ride each one at least once a month. I don't use a battery tender, but I charge the battery if it goes over a month between rides. I put Stabil in the gas just in case the weather turns and I can't ride a month, this only happens rarely. How long the fuel lasts depends on the formulation of the fuel and on the climate, more moisture in the air seems to make it go bad quicker. I have had no problems running fuel that has sat in the bike several months. Others have.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      It takes time to cook the water out of the oil, a short ride leaves some water in the oil. The part about combustion byproducts and water forming acid is true. .
      Not just water in the oil, you gotta cook the water out of the pipes too. Short trips in a car during the winter here in New England cause pipes to rust out pretty quickly. I think some of that is a by-products of the catalytics, but happens in all pipes to a point. Too much risk of ice on the roads around here for winter riding, so I'll be putting mine up soon; tear-down time!

Cheers!

Comment

Drain the bowls, remove from bike, remove all the orings and apply grease, fully coat them with Cosmoline, spray the insides till they drip of WD40 , and then use the Seal A Meal so no air can get to them.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
          Drain the bowls, remove from bike, remove all the orings and apply grease, fully coat them with Cosmoline, spray the insides till they drip of WD40 , and then use the Seal A Meal so no air can get to them.
          Was that sarcasm?

This thread is ONLY winterization isnt it? I owned GS's for years back in the 80's and dont remember doing anything during the snowy Illinois winter months.
          82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
          80 gs1000s

Comment

Everything except seal them in the Food Saver...LMAO. Yeah i was feeling sarcastic at the time. Basically all you really need to do is run about a 1/4 can of seafoam in with a full tank..then start the bike and run it down the raod a few miles to get the treated gas thru the bowls and the carbs. Place on Battery Tnde and sleep easy.
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Or you could just ride it once in a while.

Comment

True Tom...but some geographical locations dont lend well to year round riding. When I was in MI, you basically were done from mid November till around early May...damned aweful cold, snow, ice, and black ice werent very conducive to survival on 2 wheels at the time.

Comment

I have actually been there in winter, it is amazing to me that anyone would actually choose to live there.

Comment

Many Many Many moons ago when i got my first bike, i rode that bike year round..had on insulated underwear, wool socks, winer gloves with extra liners...everything you could think of short of a snowmobilers suit. Was fun for sure...then came the scaling and corrosion from daily salt spreadings on the roads..MAJOR mistake!!!!

Comment

Ever take a bike to a car wash when its 10 degrees out??? Instant cycle centered icicle..freezes on as fast as you can spray it off.

Comment

Working...
                      X