Winterization-carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
    Also, won't any elevated temp (say, warm to the touch) tend to evaporate any moisture? Why is full operating temperature necessary?
    Were you awake in your physics and/or chemistry classes?

When I went to school (many years before you did ), we were told that water evaporated at 212 degrees F. Not sure about the sensitivity of your touch, but I feel warmth considerably before that.

There is also the water vapor that is a by-product of combustion to consider. Surely you have noticed all the clouds of vapor trailing cars in the winter? Ever notice that you don't see that on cars that have been out long enough to get fully warmed up? Same thing with the bikes.

Simply warming the pipes ("to the touch") might reduce the relative humidity, but the actual moisture is still there. As the temperature cools, the relative humidity increases to the point of saturation, then condensation forms.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Condensation is real, and is the reason mufflers rot out.

BTW, Suzuki recommends draining both the fuel system and carbs for winter storage. I don't think it will cause issues to do so unless you're carbs are full of 30 year old O-rings.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

A lot of Craigs List sellers prepare for storage by removing the carbs and plugs, and put them in storage. Then the bike is carefully placed leaning on the site of the shed or tree outdoors. Removal of the stator cover and disassembly of the carbs is optional. Airbox and filter should be placed on the ground, open

I'm with Suzuki on preferring to drain the carbs. I prefer to leave the fuel tank full. Corrosion in the tank comes from condensation of moisture in the air. Full tank minimizes the quantity of air.

As to condensation, a minimium operating oil temp of 180 degrees in the is recommended for drying condension out. 10 minutes of idling isn't going to heat up the oil. It will probably keep the carb jets from gumming up though.
        sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

What were they teaching kids in school in those days?

Water boils at 212°F, but evaporation happens at lower temperatures, if humidity is low enough. For example, the humidity in Buffalo during the winter can drop very low as the moisture freezes out of the air. My roommate in college (I went to UB), would set a full mug of water on the heater to be evaporated in order to raise the humidity in the dorm room to protect his delicate sinuses. Wuss. Too many years in Florida for him. Anyhow, on really dry days, he would need to refill the mug 2 or 3 times versus none during a thaw. That heater was nowhere near 212°F. "Concentration of the substance evaporating in the air" and elevated temperature both affect evaporation.

I'm not sure it matters though. The morning after you take it for a ride, the engine will be cool, and the condensation will be right back in there (and rotting the mufflers). So what's the additional harm in not boiling it off in the first place? This is the part I don't get.
          Last edited by Dogma; 09-01-2010, 01:03 PM.
          Dogma
          --
          O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
          '80 GS850 GLT
          '80 GS1000 GT
          '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
            Condensation is real, and is the reason mufflers rot out.

BTW, Suzuki recommends draining both the fuel system and carbs for winter storage. I don't think it will cause issues to do so unless you're carbs are full of 30 year old O-rings.

automobiles that nake short trips rust out mufflers more than those used on long trips.

the pipes never get hot enough to evaporate the moisture and it is that moisture combined with th byproducts of combustion that rust things.

sulphur and water nake for sulfuric acid if I recall.

I read an mc mag article once that claimed that all of the stresses were not out of an engine till after it had been run for a long time about two hours or so--seems unimagineable.

Comment

fill tank to keep from rusting.
              drain carbs.
              remove battery from bike and trickle as needed.
              change oil now or before starting in the spring.
              these are all simple things.
              stabill smabill...
              no fuel in carbs = no gummy gum gum stuff to deal with.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                fill tank to keep from rusting.
                drain carbs.
                remove battery from bike and trickle as needed.
                change oil now or before starting in the spring.
                these are all simple things.
                stabill smabill...
                no fuel in carbs = no gummy gum gum stuff to deal with.
                With me living in CO I could see myself doing that. But one question, we still have good days out here during the winter where it's still possible to ride. Unfortunately, my closest gas station is 10 miles away from the house. What is my best option if I follow your advice but still try to ride during the winter?
                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                  With me living in CO I could see myself doing that. But one question, we still have good days out here during the winter where it's still possible to ride. Unfortunately, my closest gas station is 10 miles away from the house. What is my best option if I follow your advice but still try to ride during the winter?
                  my suggestion does not count if you chose to ride your bike any durring the storage period.
                  mine is for parking it till the season is 100% in.
                  i stored a persons bike like i stated for over 3 years.
                  i went to sell it for them and installed the battery/turned full on to fill carbs/flipped the choke and it started....
                  carbs leaked between each other a little but after the 1st ride it was dry as a bone.
                  gas was flat to say the least and some had evaporated..added half bottle of lucus octane booster and the rest is history.

Comment

Blower, I understand what you are saying but should I still put some Stabil in or should I do something else if I want to continue riding?
                    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Blower, I understand what you are saying but should I still put some Stabil in or should I do something else if I want to continue riding?
                      there's others that can answer that for you..
                      i have never seen stabil has any kind of miracle additive for storage.
                      maybe i never gave it a chance....

Comment

A friend of mine does the following to winterize his bike:

-drain tank,blow dry, keep filler cap off to allow tank to remain dry=no rust
                        -drain carbs, blow out, put back on bike, keep empty
                        -remove plugs, put 1 tbsp of oil in, replace plugs
                        -fill engine oil to top of crankcase

During the winter: spin rear wheel (by hand) a few rotations every week or 2. He claims this keeps everything lubricated, carbs clean,tank rust free. The only thing he says is that when starting the bike in the spring, the carb seals can leak for a short amount of time. He claims the leaks go away shortly when they are rehydrated.

Comment

[QUOTE=ddeboer;1276771]A friend of mine does the following to winterize his bike:

-drain tank,blow dry, keep filler cap off to allow tank to remain dry=no rust
                          -drain carbs, blow out, put back on bike, keep empty
                          -remove plugs, put 1 tbsp of oil in, replace plugs
                          -fill engine oil to top of crankcase

Leave gas cap off all winter? I hope he has a clean room!
                          Remove carbs? Ok, for a twin- too much work for me!
                          Remove plugs and add oil makes sense!
                          Fill oil to top of crankcase? does stuff really need to be submerged?
                          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                            there's others that can answer that for you..
                            i have never seen stabil has any kind of miracle additive for storage.
                            maybe i never gave it a chance....
                            I have used Stabil for many years with good results. Not sure if my double-dosing it was helping it any, but that's what I have done for any long-term hibernation. My snowblower will sit for 9 or 10 months at a time, but fires up on the first pull every time. My lawn mower also will sit while the snowblower is being exercised. It also fires quickly.

The only bike I have winterized so far is my wife's bike. Mine tends to get fresh gas run through it at regular intervals, so winterizing would be pointless.

If you have Stabil (or any other stabilizer) in the gas, there is no problem riding with it in there, just be sure to refresh the mixture when you top off the tank after your mid-winter ride.

sigpic
                            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride
                            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                              I have used Stabil for many years with good results. Not sure if my double-dosing it was helping it any, but that's what I have done for any long-term hibernation. My snowblower will sit for 9 or 10 months at a time, but fires up on the first pull every time. My lawn mower also will sit while the snowblower is being exercised. It also fires quickly.

The only bike I have winterized so far is my wife's bike. Mine tends to get fresh gas run through it at regular intervals, so winterizing would be pointless.

If you have Stabil (or any other stabilizer) in the gas, there is no problem riding with it in there, just be sure to refresh the mixture when you top off the tank after your mid-winter ride.

Steve, I am switching to the marine stabil (seems to work better). I would advise draining the tank and carbs except I cant think of any good way to keep the tank from rusting. But, if I were to advise leaving gas in it, I would say to fill the tank all the way. a half full tank would be a rust haven.

Comment

Old thread, but I am curious.

My generators and other small engines that have fuel shut offs always start and run fine after very long periods of storage, providing that I turn the shutoff valve to "off" and run them till they starve for fuel.

I wonder if an easier way to drain the carbs may be to just run them till dry, and add StarTron to the full tank?

On my 78gs1000 there is no off for the petcock, so I was wondering if I could just unplug the vacuum line and run it till it runs out of fuel?
                                82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
                                80 gs1000s

Comment

Working...
                                X