What do you make of this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you make of this?

When I took off my carbs I took note of something unusual, I wonder what you guys think of it....

This is my #3 carb....

All the other carbs look more or less like this...

What could be causing that?

Are those floats sitting in the grass?
    Have you looked at this carb before and so you know this is a new feature?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Soot, from backfiring through the carbs. Does it do little POPs when it's first started up cold?
      If so maybe the choke circuit isn't working right on that one. It could have to do with intake valve clearance being too tight also, maybe other causes.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
        Are those floats sitting in the grass?
        Have you looked at this carb before and so you know this is a new feature?
        I like working on my front lawn. This is not the first time I've taken these off. It is the first time ive seen this.

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        Soot, from backfiring through the carbs. Does it do little POPs when it's first started up cold?
        If so maybe the choke circuit isn't working right on that one. It could have to do with intake valve clearance being too tight also, maybe other causes.
        There were some small pops on occasion, and once or twice loud bangs. I guess we'll find out the cause after I'm done cleaning them. If it all goes away then it was the carbs if not, I need to do a valve check anyways.

Comment

Working...
        X