Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shortest path to running bike

Hi all,

I'm about to embark on a mission to get my 1150ES running. From what I can tell, it has two main issues.

1. Starter circuit. Starts fine if I hot-wire it, but not from the regular start switch. I'm guessing it is either the neutral or kickstand switch.

2. Dirty carbs. It will idle with the choke on, but dies if I try to close the choke or give it any throttle.

The electrical stuff I just need to spend the time on, but I'm looking for some wisdom on how to address the carbs. It still has its stock airbox, but does have a 4-1 pipe, so I'm guessing it has been jetted. I bought the bike in this condition so I don't know how well it was running before the carbs got fouled.

Question is: Do I try to clean and rebuild the carbs as they are and see how it runs or do I get my own jet kit, some good pod filters and build it up the way I want to have it in the long run?

I should add that while I've done some carb work on my honda, I'm not an experienced carb tuner. This makes me inclined to make the minimum changes to it (no pods, existing jets) just to get it running, then move to the pods and rejetting. Is my logic sound or am I just making more work for myself?

Also, any reason I'd want to tackle the electrical before the carbs or vice versa?

thanks in advancee for your help,

Starting It could be the clutch switch too !!!

Comment

Don't guess about it being rejetted, get the carbies off and have a look. Sounds like it may be lean if it only want to run on choke. You'll be looking for #120 mainjets on cylinders number 1 & 4, with the inner two cylinders running #122.5's. With a 4-1 exhaust you'll probably be wanting to run #125's or #130's on all cylinders - order both and see how they go.

With pods you do get a gain, especially in the topend, but it is a bit of a mission getting the tuning right. I would recommend getting either a Dynojet kit (adjustable needles are a MUST for tuning) or going for #145 mainjets, seeing as you've got a 4-1 exhaust as well. I'm running pods with the stock exhaust (modified with 4 x 8mm holes in each endcap for better flow) and #140 mainjets seem alright, with the needle on 3rd clip. Am going to raise it one more position and see how that goes, then that should be it.

On the electrical issues, check all killing switches such as the kickstand and go from there. The harness may also be loose or corroded so check all connections. After a thorough check if you still can't find the problem then it might be time for professional help... or you could buy a disc lock and call it a day haha.

Cheers - boingk

Comment

Working...
      X