Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need a set of pilot jets, where to buy??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a set of pilot jets, where to buy??

I picked up an 1100ES and the PO put on a pipe and K&N pods. Bike is running way lean...popping on decel and needs tons of choke on cold and warm start up. Found out my pilots are stock #45 I believe. plugs were dusty white

For giggles I moved the clips on the needles from the middle setting to the next lower. The engine was better but still same. plugs a little more tan but still whitish.

Moved them down to the lowest position and its starting to run like a GS but still needs some help.

Where is the best place to buy jets and suggestion of what size? i was thinking just go one size up??

Thank you,

Jim
    GS Score Card
    4-400 Series GS's
    3-500 Series
    1-600 Series
    1-700 Series
    4-800 Series
    1-1000 Series
    2-1100 series 1982 GS1100G In stable now
    sigpic

Originally posted by jimfj View Post
    I picked up an 1100ES and the PO put on a pipe and K&N pods. Bike is running way lean...popping on decel and needs tons of choke on cold and warm start up. Found out my pilots are stock #45 I believe. plugs were dusty white

For giggles I moved the clips on the needles from the middle setting to the next lower. The engine was better but still same. plugs a little more tan but still whitish.

Moved them down to the lowest position and its starting to run like a GS but still needs some help.

Where is the best place to buy jets and suggestion of what size? i was thinking just go one size up??

Thank you,

Jim
    A DJ kit Stage III would have 132 or 138 which is equivalent to 125 or 130 Mikuni. If all you have is pods and pipe go 125 (with 34mm carbs) or 130 (with 36mm carbs) and put the needle back at 3 from the bottom. Set mixture screws (2 turns out or to eliminate popping).

I think you should only swap the pilot jets if you cant acheive the correct mixture with the mixture screws. You need to get the mains and needles set first.

Comment

they are the 34mm carbs I believe. I didn't take note of the mains when I cleaned/checked the carbs.

so basically you are saying the mixture screws are the key here. I can't remember where i set them but I'm guessing they are about 3 turns out now.

I know this jetting can be a black art and I haven't done alot personally.

One reason i am going with new pilots is because 2 are buggered up and I can't get them out. I cleaned them with a copper wire strand but i will have to use a reverse drill bit to get them out.
      GS Score Card
      4-400 Series GS's
      3-500 Series
      1-600 Series
      1-700 Series
      4-800 Series
      1-1000 Series
      2-1100 series 1982 GS1100G In stable now
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jimfj View Post
        they are the 34mm carbs I believe. I didn't take note of the mains when I cleaned/checked the carbs.

so basically you are saying the mixture screws are the key here. I can't remember where i set them but I'm guessing they are about 3 turns out now.

I know this jetting can be a black art and I haven't done alot personally.

One reason i am going with new pilots is because 2 are buggered up and I can't get them out. I cleaned them with a copper wire strand but i will have to use a reverse drill bit to get them out.

I'm saying get your mains and needles set first before messing with the mixture screws. Your configuration is pretty standard so doing as i mentioned you shoudl be pretty close.

I'm a newly minted carb expert as I have been adjusting my 1166 with 36mm CV carbs using an Innovate WB O2 sensor. Having O2/AFR takes alot of the guess work out of it.

Comment

OEM replacement jets

Congratulations on the new ES. Sudco has replacement jets in all sizes, and they know these carbs.

If you'd rather just get the jets instead of a kit, Sudco is a good source (and cheap). You can download the PDF catalog and save it to look at using Abode Reader (or browse in window, which is slow). It looks like they are on page 135 on the top right (mikuni N151.067, size). bleed type (BS30/96, size) is there too if that is what you have in there.

Maybe this thread (sticky in this forum) has stock jet sizes for the ES you have, for reference.

Comment

1083 1100 esd, usa

Daveo posts these specs on post #21 in the carb specs sticky

1983 1100 ED/ESD

Specs in mm.
            Carb Type- Mikuni BS34SS
            Bore Size-34 mm
            ID# - 49380
            Idle r/min - 1050 +/- 100 r/min
            Fuel Level - 5.0 +/- 0.5
            Float Height - 22.4 +/- 1.0
            Main Jet - #112.5
            Main Air Jet - 1.2
            Jet Needle - 5D58
            Needle Jet - X-1
            Pilot Jet - #45
            Bypass - 0.8, 0.8, 0.8
            Pilot Outlet - 1.0
            Valve Seat - 2.0
            Starter Jet - #32.5
            Pilot Screw - Pre-Set, Varies
            Pilot Air Jet - #180
            Throttle Cable Play - 0.5-1.0

BUT...
            mcycle nut posted these on post #15 for CANADIAN 1100 ED. Note bigger pilot. No doubt, the #45 pilot was to make EPA happy. Now that you have pods... 47.5 may not even be enough. #50 is the next size. I had to go with #47.5 on my eight valve 1100G with pods. Maybe #50 and drop the needle back will work??

83 GS1100ED(Canadian model for sure)

Carb Type Mikuni BS34SS
            Bore Size 34mm
            I.D. No 49360
            Idle r/min 1050+100r/min
            Fuel Level 5+.5mm
            Float Height 22.4+1mm
            Main jet #112.5
            Main air jet 1.2mm
            Jet Needle 5D9-3rd position
            Needle jet X2
            Pilot Jet #47.5