Starting a motor any motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting a motor any motor

Just wanted to share this with anyone who has trouble getting they're bike started. My GS1000 is old and tired but runs good. It burns a little oil, and starts fine if I ride it daily. If I let it sit for more than a week or two, The oil left in the lifter cavities and valve cover, finds it's way to the cylinders and spark plugs. If it does start it pops and spits until it has run for 5 minutes or so....Then it runs fine. I let it sit for 3 weeks and decided to go for a ride yesterday. I charged the battery for 30 minutes @ 5 amps and attempted to start it with the charger still hooked up. It cranked at a very good pace, but would not start. Yes I primed the float bowls. I've been riding for over 35 years and know the drill. The bike would not fire at all. Now heres the good part. My father in law George, God rest his soul, taught me a little trick. He was a lawn mower fix it man. I pulled spark plugs 1 & 4 out of their holes and squirted a nice stream of lighter fluid down in the cylinders. Screwed the spark plugs back in and hit the starter. It fired immediately. Sputter, pop, vroom......Oil smoke galore, clouded up my garage really good. It then cleared up and ran like a champ. Time for a ride...I pointed to heaven and said outloud, thanks George....And off I went for a one hour ride....Works on any engine, try it.......Billy

that will work until you hydraulic lock a cylinder.

a spray can of ether does not require the plugs to be removed.

light spray into the airbox as you are cranking or right into the pods. VROOM!!

also if the battery is bad/low unplug the headlight while cranking.
    SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Ether likes to go KERPOW!!!.....Watch out for the dragon!!.....Billy

Comment

Originally posted by BadBillyB View Post
        Ether likes to go KERPOW!!!.....Watch out for the dragon!!.....Billy
        Ya know...in 30+ years of using ether to start pesky engines, I've never heard or seen the "kaboom".

Hair spray in a potato gun will out "kaboom" ether, any and all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
          Ya know...in 30+ years of using ether to start pesky engines, I've never heard or seen the "kaboom".
          Me neither. Perhaps its cause I've never used it
          Seen it used, same thing, never seen or heard of any kabooms.
          sigpic

82 GS850
          78 GS1000
          04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
          .................________-|___\____
          ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

I lit the insulation on fire on a 74 El Camino with ether.
            Thank goodness for winter jackets. That's what put it out.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post

Hair spray in a potato gun will out "kaboom" ether, any and all the time.

Amen dave I have worked with heavy equipment in the cold and have used ether with abandon and never has an enngine mysticallly died because of it.

I wonder what the flashpoint and energy content is in a stroke full of ether?

Lots of guys tell me it will strip the cylinder of oil as if the next stroke will not relube it. Not that gas and air have any effect on oil or that it should be omly a small amount getting past the rings.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                I lit the insulation on fire on a 74 El Camino with ether.
                Thank goodness for winter jackets. That's what put it out.
                my friend not me I swear set a carb alight at a gas pump trying to prime an engine after having run out of gas.

Used the old shake a soda bottle method and it was not a nice experience

Comment

I have had my eyebrows removed by spraying carb cleaner in a cranking engine when the ignition timing had jumped on a car. My ear drums didn't fair much better. Lighter fluid is my friend.....Billy

Comment

Any body ever hear of seating a tire with ether?? That goes KABOOM!!!! so does the tire if u use to much Old mudder tire trick.

Comment

as a small engine (lawnmower&chainsaw) mechanic I have seen the destructive power of starting fluid. I have seen pistons with holes in them, bent rods, and most commonly a blown head gasket, and I blew a spark plug right out of a head one time ( stupid tecumseh junk ). not to mention the stories some people tell.... like " I couldnt get it to start so I sprayed ether in the carb, now it dont even pop anymore" might be because now you have no compression!

Imho leave the ether to things made out of iron.

btw: spraying stuff into the plug holes is less dangerous because it is no longer vapor/aerosol by the time you get the plugs back in, and liquid is less explosive than vapor.

Comment

Amen, brother. Keep the dragon tightly sealed in his lair, and he cant get to you. As a small engine mechanic, you probably already know the benefits of lighter fluid.....Billy

Comment

Working...
                        X