V&H header GS1100E bottom header tubes smashed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

V&H header GS1100E bottom header tubes smashed

I have been hunting and digging around for a deal on a good clean used pipe, without having to put out big bucks. I found one made of stainless, but the gut thought it was a shrine, or it was priced like one.

The one on my every day driver wound up getting smashed bad on the two bottom tubes, and on top of that there are several small holes rusted through the same tubes, from sitting on a bike out in the weather for 15 years. So I pulled out another parts bike and the V&H pipe on it looked pretty good, then I checked it out on the bottom, and it has smashed tubes to, way bad but no rust. I started checking out the prebent tubes available for header fabrication, and I was about to make the plunge and tig weld in new pipes, then I got an idea.

I was thinking if I had a tool I could drive up in the collector end, I could reform the pipes to a degree. So I ordered a 1 1/4 inch steel ball, it is the hardened type made for bearings, big bearings. I fired up the tig welder and welded it to a 2 foot long piece of 5/16 mild steel rod. The bearing didn't want to take the weld, but at about 180 amps on the miller Synchrowave, and cranking up the shielding gas it cooperated. I left a huge fillet to reinforce it to the rod.

Now time to try it. I didn't count on there being a divider plate in the collector, but there is. With a little bending it moves over to the side enough for me to get my ball tool in. I coated the ball with grease and began to drive it up into the tubes. Because the tubes are not straight the 5/16 steel rod bent a bit so that the ball could go down the tube. It really opened up the tube and reshaped it without damaging the tube at all. I thought it would be a nightmare to get out, but I clamped a set of vise grips on it and tapped the vice gripe with a hammer and it came right out. Then I did the second tube and it worked just as well, after tweaking the internal baffle a bit.

The ball acted like a die, and reformed the tube nicely. Now it isnt perfect, because the ball was purposely a hundred and twenty thousandths under sized. The ID of the tube is about 1.37" and the ball 1.25". most header tubes are a little smaller where they merge into the collector because of the weld beads, and other deformations. I thought I would be lucky to get a 1.25 inch ball in, and it went in pretty easy, one tube was a little tougher to get the ball into, but not bad. The results are pretty decent, and the tubes look nice, and will flow well again. The ball cost $8 with shipping, and the 5/16 rod was a scrap that I already had. Fixing the tubes otherwise would have been either expensive, and time consuming, or impossible. The only thing missing was the AC DC song about big balls.

I have a VH 4-1 that has some dings as well that I'd like to fix.

Do you have some before/after pics of the pipes, and/or some pics of the tool you manufactured?

Comment

Good thinking & ingenuity on your part there Texas!!! Way to go! Plus, it's on the bottom so WHO is gonna see it?!!! Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by Texasgs View Post
        Fixing the tubes otherwise would have been either expensive, and time consuming, or impossible. The only thing missing was the AC DC song about big balls.
        Originally posted by rapidray View Post
        Good thinking & ingenuity on your part there Texas!!! Way to go!
        +1...this issue has been raised here quite often, without any solution.
        A more appropriate soundtrack would be 'Balls To The Wall' though....Accept no substitutes.
        '82 GS1100E

Comment

pipe fu

Ray, yeah on the bottom where it is out of sight. I didnt even know mine was smashed until I got down and looked, because of the holes it was starting to sound like a GS and a Harley running side by side. I was lucky to have another wounded pipe with no holes to reform. The main thing isn't cosmetic, it is the flow is back.

No pics, I never seem to have the time, I need to change that. I will try to get pics of the tool, it is pretty basic, and made for pure function, and not cosmetics. I used it on a Kaw pipe today, and it worked great again. The grease makes it smoke like a dog until you get it burnt out. The natural ability to bend a bit on the 5/16 mild steel rod really makes the tool work. If it wasn't for this you couldn't get it into the tubes up to the point where they make the bend to go up. After you pull it back out you can lay it on a flat surface and pound it back straight. After doing 3 pipes the ball doesn't even have a scratch on it, the steel is really hard on the ball.

I think I am going to make a batch of these and put them on ebay. I will try to post a pic. If anyone wants one, or wants a pipe straightened out let me know

Comment

Did you make any of these up?I could use one for this.

Comment

I did the same thing but heated the pipes up pretty hot first {glowing }. Pipe looked perfect from the side and when I took it off but 2 pipes were nearly smashed flat. Its no work of art but at least they will work

Comment

I think someone posted this up before

this should be what is needed provided the pipe ID is big enough, so SVSooke, you're out of luck
                1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                2007 DRz 400S
                1999 ATK 490ES
                1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
                  Did you make any of these up?I could use one for this.
                  Yes I did make up some of these, and they sold out. I got back some VERY good feedback from the buyers. I am making up another batch right now, they will be ready in a few days. If you want one I get $35 + shipping for them. I actually filed for a utility patent on the tool. These tools work much better than I had hoped. You can make that header come back to life with one of these tools, and a little metal skill. Also the Harbor freight tool someone posted a link to is practically useless unless you have a straight tube you want to make a little bigger, like to make a slip joint.

Comment

Good,you have a customer for one here.The one in the picture is better than this one

Think it will get these out?Would have 2 4into 1's if it would.May be to high in the pipe though.

Comment

SVSooke, What did you have to do to damage those pipes like THAT?
                      Were you TRYING to damage them?

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                        I think someone posted this up before

this should be what is needed provided the pipe ID is big enough, so SVSooke, you're out of luck
                        I have the set and used the small one to open up the pipe. I suspect with a rose bud tip, the pipe could be easily shapped with pipe expander.

I used it without heat to semi round out some flattened lower pipes.

Problem is it will not go around a bend, so only flattened lower pipes can be straightened.

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                          SVSooke, What did you have to do to damage those pipes like THAT?
                          Were you TRYING to damage them?

Daniel
                          You have to ask the PO's.The second picture is of this bikes pipe

The first one was on this bike

Check my sig thread for the story behind these bikes.

Comment

re

That second pipe might be a challenge for the tool. It may do it, because the mild steel rod will bend, I have pushed it around some corners, I just haven't pushed it quite that far. I am going to say it will do wonders for the first pipe, and you will have a fighting chance on the second pipe. I designed a second type tool that will go anywhere, but all I have is the prototype, and I am waiting for a filing date from the patent office before I release it. The second type tool will be a lot more expensive, and it will be a while before it is released.

Comment

Thought the second one might be a stretch.May give it a shot but I really want to get the first one opened up.

Comment

Working...
                              X