No announcement yet.

Idles at 7k??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's always the silly things that bite you!Seemed like a good idea to send them so thank you.

Comment

Good job. A little investigation goes a long way.
      Larry D
      1980 GS450S
      1981 GS450S
      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Ya, you can never be too thorough.

I got to thinking, and when this all started, I tried running it with the cable completely out of its holder on the carbs. That should have solved the problem, allowing the throttle plates to close. But I must have still had the idle screw screwed in at that point though, so it was still keeping the plates open. Ah well.

Comment

Hah !!!

Originally posted by Candyman View Post
          Much thanks guys, you got me looking and thinking in the right direction at least. Turns out wasn't the carbs at all.

Stupid thing. Always is.

Just for information sake, having your throttle plates open just this much, will make your engine idle at about 7k:

I checked the throttle plates on the bench and they looked perfect, no adjustment needed. Then I checked them with the cable hooked on and the cable adjusted as loose as it would go. I noticed this time that they were open just this little bit. Ok, not bad, a little cable adjustment will fix that right? Well, the cable was as loose as it would go on both ends. Finally thought to take apart the throttle tube assembly at the other end of the cable, and this is what I found:

Cable had jumped the track and was taking up that last 1/8" of slack I needed to close the butterflies completely. Judging by how it was bent I would say it has been like this for a long time, maybe even what caused the previous owner to park it an pull the carbs who knows how many years ago. Maybe a 7k idle was making him think bad carbs too!

Fortunately SVS of my carbs was kind enough to throw in the cables with it (Thanks!) so I just put that one on. Started it up, set the idle, and took it for a little spin up into 4th gear. Could still use a bit of a carb sync but she runs just fine otherwise.

Thanks again for all the help guys, it got me looking in the right direction.
          Cheers
          Thanks candyman, I believe in learning from others' experiences, and I was having a similar problem after I have just rebuilt my carbs, fitted new carb boots, orings included, as well as new orings to the carb. I couldn't understand why the bike was idling so high. I hadn't yet put the airbox and all the pipes back on, so thought that when I vacuum synch the carbs with everything in place she may come right on the high idling.

But it still bothered me, and when I read this thread, I thought to have a look at my throttle tube. Well, I recently put a "new" 2nd hand tube on, and the one I found was for a twin cable carb. So what had happened is that I put the throttle cable in the wrong slot. I just moved it to the other slot, and could immediately see more play in the cable at the carb. Started her afterwards, and idling much lower. Now just have to vacuum synch, and hopefully all my carb issues will be history for a long time to come...

That's why I love this forum....thanks again. Etienne.

Comment

And thank you, Candyman and everyone else who has contributed to this thread.

You all helped me solve a similar problem with my 650. I knew the cable tension was too high, but I hadn't thought to pull the throttle tube off until I saw your pics.
            '83 GS650G
            '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Working...
            X