Installed dynojet kit, fuel leaking out of carb filters now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installed dynojet kit, fuel leaking out of carb filters now

I installed the dynojet kit last night. I went with 165 mains since it says stg 3 is for individual pods and the 165s are to be used when running a stock exhaust. I fired it up and went for a ride last night and it felt great. Today, I went for a 45 minute ride with a stop 20mins in. Everything seemed fine until the "end". I was riding @ 45mph and it started bogging like it was out of gas. Pulled into a driveway, put the kick down, and let I sit for a minute. After 2 minutes of sitting, gas started to trickle out of the furthest carb on the left (cyl 1?). After turning the petcock, the fuel stopped trickling. Fired it up 8 mins later and rode it the last mile home where it started bogging as I pulled into the driveway.

So my questions are:
    1. What could be causing the fuel to trickle out of the carb?
    2. What should I be checking specifically?
    3. On the petcock, mine has 3 letters at the top (pri I think) and two dots, one at the 3 o'clock and one at the 9 o'clock. What do these markings mean? Where should the valve be turned to?

Sorry for the newb question.

1), 2) Your needle and seat is sticking, allowing fuel to flow all the time. You need to take the bowl off and clean the needle and seat, and check your fuel bowl level while you are in there.
    3) The 6 o'clock position is ON and is where the lever should be most of the time. The 9 o'clock position is RES (reserve) and is used when you get too low on fuel. The 3 o'clock position is PRI (prime) and bypasses the vacuum line. It is seldom used.

Comment

I had this on another bike, it was a bad O-ring.... ah the proper name of which is escaping me. See if I can describe it. Take off bowl, take off float, the needle actuated by the float sets in a brass jet that is held in snug by an O-ring. THAT is the O-ring that was bad on mine. It was letting fuel flow around it and out the filter.

Comment

Check the spark plugs to see if they are fouled.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

mysterious petcock setting markings.

Hello, I was reading this thread, and found mention of a longstanding mystery I have about my petcock setting on my 1980 GS-1100E. I have the same type as being discussed, the little arrow @ 12 o'clock, a dot @ 3 o'clock, and a dot @ 9 o'clock. Selection is made by turning a tiny white plastic circle with a flathead screwdriver slot in it. This slot goes all the way from one side of the circle to the other. There are no markings to indicate which end of the slot is to be used as an index point, for lining up with the arrow or the dots. The three letters in the upper left corner of the metal housing, PRI, are not really obviously connected to either the arrow, or the dot on the left. It seems like they almost decided to let you know, then left it hanging. I presently have the slot set horizontally, or pointing at both of the dots. I have been riding his way for the last several thousand miles. The bike runs great, @ 33 thousand miles, burns a little oil, but has great compression (150 lbs all the way across). I have been seeing noticeable smoke when taking off from stoplights, and start/stops around town once hot. I had been hoping it is just the valve seals, and not the guides, or the oil-rings. I don't know how much such a thing would cost if taken in to a pro, but I think just replacing the seals should be the least time consuming of the three.
          Now that I've read that a horizontal petcock choice is between RESERVE and PRIME, I wonder if I've been on prime this whole time, and that's the smoke I'm seeing, not an oil sealing problem. Curious.
          So I should set the slot VERTICALLY, to the arrow. OK. Cool. I wonder which end of the slot to point up, though. 50/50 chance I will be set to ON then.
          Is there a known replacement, that isn't this stock one? Perhaps one from a different model, with that sweet selector arm that shows you what setting you're on? Thanks for all the help. I am happily addicted to riding this wild machine, and non-stop tinkering on it. They are labors of love, no doubt. GS-ESW

Comment

If the petcock is designed correctly, there will be a positive stop at the 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock positions. In other words, it should not let you rotate clockwise past the 9 o'clock position or counterclockwise past the 3 o'clock position. So the 6 o'clock position can only be set one way.
            Although I have read of these petcocks, I have not actually used one, so this is supposition on my part. But that is how mine works, and all petcocks I have ever used.

Comment

petcock on 1980 gs-1100E

Well, well. I actually own a bike with his petcock. The reason I mentioned the mystery, is because it does exist. I can turn the slotted white circle freely, to any position. There are no fixed stopping points on this petcock. THAT IS WHY I MENTIONED IT. Thanks for the condescending tone though, that made posting an innocent question all the more wonderful. You solved my problem. Thanks.

Comment

A lot of folks love the stock style petcock because you don't have to turn it on/off. I rode dirt bikes as a kid and always had to turn the gas on so I'm used to it. Plus the mechanical petcock is as simple as it can be.
                All that said I would replace the petcock as it sure sounds damaged. My choice would be the simple mechanical but it's up to you. You will probably have to buy/build an adapter plate if you get something other than a stock style.
                The smoke wouldn't be from the incorrect setting, you're probably right about the seals. Hope this helps!

Comment

Originally posted by GS-ESW View Post
                  Well, well. I actually own a bike with his petcock. The reason I mentioned the mystery, is because it does exist. I can turn the slotted white circle freely, to any position. There are no fixed stopping points on this petcock. THAT IS WHY I MENTIONED IT. Thanks for the condescending tone though, that made posting an innocent question all the more wonderful. You solved my problem. Thanks.
                  I really don't think he went there.
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by GS-ESW View Post
                    I am stunned at your response. I don't know what else to say.

Comment

petcock

Two ways to interpret Koolaid's response: The petcock is designed correctly, and I am too dense to notice that there is only one way to set it to ON at the 12 o'clock (there are no marks @ 6 o'clock) position. The second one is that Suzuki designed this petcock wrong, there is no way to know if you're on prime or reserve, or pointing the correct end @ 12 o'clock/ON. Both comments offer no constructive solutions. The implication that I am too dumb to figure out a petcock, like every one Koolaid has ever seen, is pointless. How does this help? Read his reply again. Where in his reply is the good-natured helpful part. The next person who replied did offer advice, and was considerate. Many people on this site are just plain rude, and only respond with petty references as to how smart they are in comparison to the person with a question. What a waste. I expect no apology, as you were shocked to find i was offended. I still am.

Comment

I'm sorry GS but I don't think Koolaid was being condescending and I know of him actually being extremely helpful in how to repair things here. His intent was to tell you that your petcock was definitely damaged past the original design. Therefore, you might want to start looking for a new one.

With that said, have you found a replacement yet? How are the repairs going?
                        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

i duidn't read anything condescending in the reply either... perhaps the "offended" is having an off day - if that's all it takes to offend you certainly need to stop taking it all so personally imho

Comment

Working...
                          X