How much blowby is too much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much blowby is too much?

My gs1000 seems pretty smoky out of the vent tube once it's up to full operating temp. It doesn't smell like raw gas, it's not very oily, meaning that the airbox isn't full of oil. I have decent compression (120+ on all cylinders). The exhaust isn't blue or oily, nor is it smoky. I know when I reringed it, the rings were on the outside of the endgap spec. so maybe that's it. Obviously everything expands when it gets hot. Maybe nothing to worry about. I'm just curious what oters are finding. Part of my curiosity stems from my inability to get this thing to idle correctly when warm.

steam from condensation inside the crankcase isn't blow by.

I do not know of a limit of too much blow by, unless you are fouling spark plugs. I can tell you there are engines that will push fluid oil out the top until there is a balance inside the engine -relative to the running tolerances of that specific engine- some engines like 3.25 qts others a little less, I have had an engine that equaled out and quit making a mess in the catch can at about 2.75 qts in the engine. ??? go figure?

your idle problem is most likely not related to positive crankcase pressure.
    SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Yeah, everything looks good. No fouled plugs, etc. I just had to wonder if, given my issues whether or not this was a factor. The blowby definitely increases from no perceptible amount when cold to what you might see from a small teapot as the engines comes to steady state operating temp.

Comment

Working...
      X