Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1978 Suzuki GS750 EC Mikuni VM26SS Part#

I was wondering the Part Number for the carb body for my 1978 gs750 EC

Nickr, welcome to the site. Try out this place to determine what you need; just pick your year and model. http://www.alpha-sports.com/suzuki_parts.htm
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

im looking for the mikuni part number, not the suzuki one. sry

Comment

I just did a search on Mikuni and came up with this information from their website.

Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Unfortunatly they aren't an aftermarket carb. they are special carbs that were made specificly for the gs750 (and a couple other 4 stokes) and that is why the part # is so hard to find... but i guess i need to explain my situation. i just got some individual pod filters (K&N) and they call for a ~15% increase. i had a 1978 model so the carbs dont have needle possitions. i know the part for the main jet i need (witch is about a 120 from a 102.5) but i need the the carb body part # so i can find the right need jet (the seat that the needle slides into) and the carb body slide.

Comment

Just out of curiosity, was this bike running ok before you decided to go with the pods?
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

yes it is running just fine. it has a little bit of a rough idel because i don't have the carbs synced to the engine (they are benched synced because in my opion it givea better top end performance). the valves need to be shimed and i am also going to replace the piston head and rings. so that should fix the rough idle. im not racing the bike at all i just like to give it some gas every-once-in-a-while. my gs 750 came with the racing type of exhaust. It is the performance exhaust of the time which i think has more comprestion than the standard. you can tell the difference because the performance exhaust has just one big hole and the standard has 1 smaller hole in the middle with 6 smaller yet (maybe) holes around the center one. anywho im basicly just doing this for fun. thank everyone for your insight

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. nickr234,

Check all the vendor links in your "mega-welcome", Sudco, etc. You might find a catalog with the number you're looking for. Otherwise, let me welcome you to the forum...

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Have a look at the carb sticky on here to see your standard set up - there were 4 standards for the 8 valve 750s.

Plus do a search on running pods on your bike. Loads and loads of stuff on here about how to tune them in, what jets / settings to run at.

Your needle jet by the way is either a P-6 or an O-1 depending on engine number and your slides will either have a 1.5 or 2.5 cutaway, again depending on your engine number.
                  79 GS1000S
                  79 GS1000S (another one)
                  80 GSX750
                  80 GS550
                  80 CB650 cafe racer
                  75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                  75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by nickr234 View Post
                    Unfortunatly they aren't an aftermarket carb. they are special carbs that were made specificly for the gs750 (and a couple other 4 stokes) and that is why the part # is so hard to find... but i guess i need to explain my situation. i just got some individual pod filters (K&N) and they call for a ~15% increase. i had a 1978 model so the carbs dont have needle possitions. i know the part for the main jet i need (witch is about a 120 from a 102.5) but i need the the carb body part # so i can find the right need jet (the seat that the needle slides into) and the carb body slide.
                    The VM 26 carb does indeed have needle positions. Have you pulled out a needle (or better yet, all 4) to see where they are set?

It's unlikely you need different slides - the VM carb is very easy to tune and generally just needs rejetting and perhaps moving the needle clip down a notch

Also unlikely you need a new needle jet

A 4-1 exhaust (which has less back pressure and doesn't have any compression) and pods on your 750 should come out at about a 120 main, perhaps a 115 or 117.5 and possibly one size up on the pilot jet

I'm curious, if it runs well, why would your tear the head off?

And, yes, VMs run much better when they are vacuum synced. Much better
                    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                    2007 DRz 400S
                    1999 ATK 490ES
                    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Holy Lean Batman.

so last night i took apart a carb slide to see if there were any notches on the needles. it turns out that there are! i was lead to beleive by both K&N and the internet that all motorcycles 1978 and after didn't has ajustable notches for the needle on VM carbs... but also sumthing that is wird the carbs should not have fuel pilot skrews either because the epa made them illegal to tighten emission controll... i also read somewere (i can't remember) that the fuel pilots dont show up on any of the blowup schematics (which i just now conffimed)... im wondering if suzuki said to hell with the EPA and gave them boggus schematics so they could be sold in the USA (just a thought). anyhow so i put the notch down to were is should be for the filters. and since my orginal setting for the carbs were pilot 15, i thought the 17.5 i had in there would cut it (i dont' have any higher main, for now, so i just wanted to test the low end) and it wasn't even close. i have oval K&N pod filter and not cone so i think that has something to do with it. but i have a 20 and a 22.5 pilot coming and a 117.5 and a 122.5 for a main on the way. hopfully that will give me a good starting point. but we shall see.

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                        The VM 26 carb does indeed have needle positions. Have you pulled out a needle (or better yet, all 4) to see where they are set?

It's unlikely you need different slides - the VM carb is very easy to tune and generally just needs rejetting and perhaps moving the needle clip down a notch

Also unlikely you need a new needle jet

A 4-1 exhaust (which has less back pressure and doesn't have any compression) and pods on your 750 should come out at about a 120 main, perhaps a 115 or 117.5 and possibly one size up on the pilot jet

I'm curious, if it runs well, why would your tear the head off?

And, yes, VMs run much better when they are vacuum synced. Much better

tear the head off? im sorry but i guess i dont know what you mean

the only thing that im taking off and replacing is the air box (and im still keeping it) and the jets.

the reason i wanted to get a new slide and a new needle jet was because i thought they were not adjustable (the needle position).

also with the bench sync vs. the vac sync, you get a better performance with lower end and mid range with the vac sync, but not when fully open. the reason for this being is because with these old vm carbs you sync them by adjusting the slides. this means that if you adjust to the 1st carb, when fully open the 2nd 3rd and 4th carb will be either above or below where it is supposed to be thusly decressing power.

sorry i didn't see your post b4 i posted that last one, and in the future i wil try to clean up my posts.

Thanks,

Comment

tear the head off? im sorry but i guess i dont know what you mean

the only thing that im taking off and replacing is the air box (and im still keeping it)
                          Well, in post #7 (?) of this thread, you did say you were going to replace " the piston head and rings" , so most of us assumed you were going to tear the head off.
                          As for epa stuff, My bet is that suzuki had to dump the vm carbs to meet the CALiF idle requirements- the cv met that goal. But there are plenty of folks here who can explain it better.
                          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

also with the bench sync vs. the vac sync, you get a better performance with lower end and mid range with the vac sync, but not when fully open. the reason for this being is because with these old vm carbs you sync them by adjusting the slides. this means that if you adjust to the 1st carb, when fully open the 2nd 3rd and 4th carb will be either above or below where it is supposed to be thusly decressing power.
                            I can see by your posts so far that you've become misguided on a number of issues so far, I guess you can't believe what you read on the Internet! (oh wait, um, okay, anywhere but here)

You sync VMs to standard amount of vaccum, so at that point, all of the carbs will be equally open. There's nothing to prevent them from opening further, just the cable stop

Since I've vacuum synced a hundred or more sets of carbs in the last 40 years, I've found that bench syncing is often quite far off compared to the vacuum sync. Vacuum synced bikes run better everywhere in the rpm range

There's no loss of horsepower on the top end by vacuum syncing.
                            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                            2007 DRz 400S
                            1999 ATK 490ES
                            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

The CV carbs came out in 1980 to meet the emission requirement. Prior to 1980 there were no emission standards. Regardless of your theory Vacuum sync makes a big difference in the way the bike runs, smoothness. You are cheating yourself if you think otherwise
                              Last edited by Guest; 09-15-2010, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X