Carb sychronize

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb sychronize

On a 83 GS1100e when I synchronize the carbs should the 2 center carbs be different than the out side carbs or should they all be equal I'm using a mercury tube sychronizer thanks

With the standard airbox they 2 inners should be a bit lower than the outers. The manual specs 1 ball diameter if I remember correctly. In practice if you get them all the same, or the outers slightly higher you'll be fine.

If you're running pods just get them all level.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Hi,

It's not the airbox that determines relative vacuum adjustment between the carbs. It's whether or not your exhaust has a crossover (sometimes called "pre-muffler"). If you have straight pipes, all the carb vacuums are level. If you have a "pre-muffler" then the factory manual calls for #2 and #3 to adjusted a little lower than #1 and #4.

Or...

#10 is the "pre-muffler". If your bike does not have one, then make all the vacuum levels the same.

I have the pre-muffler on my bike. This was my latest sync.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks guys thats what I was looking for BassCliff what brand of synchronizer is that you have?

Comment

ok so its the exhaust configuration that is the issue regarding the relative position setting of the needles on the gauges or mecury levels on a carb sync gauge.

Where should the 2 middle carbs be set then relative the 2 outer ones if you have a 4 into 1 exhaust set up?

thanks chaps

Comment

Straight across all four.
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by 2slow View Post
              Thanks guys thats what I was looking for BassCliff what brand of synchronizer is that you have?
              Morgan Carbtune

Comment

The Suzuki specs call for half a ball difference, but there are no numbers to indicate whether that's 1cm, 2cm, or what in the real world.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                X