Air box confusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air box confusion

I want to buy an air box for my 1983 GS 650. I looked at the fisch at http://www.alpha-sports.com/suzuki_parts.htm and found my year and make. The fisch doesn't match my bike, at least the air filter box opening. Mine is vertical. Below is what the fisch shows for my bike:

But this doesn't match. I did some looking and the gs650M has the vertical connection like my bike as below:

What is the right part for my bike or is the fisch wrong? I have no history on my bike either.

It's hard to tell, as you don't tell us whether you have a 650M,650G or 650E model

Plus, there is always the question of whether what airbox is now installed in your bike is the correct one (aka the PO syndrome)

The fiche's are not always 100% accurate in their depictions of the parts

Plus, you'll faint at the dealer cost

Try the "parts for sale" forum
    Last edited by Big T; 09-14-2010, 07:17 PM.
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Yeah it is hard to tell... Anyways, should have put the model in my question, but it is in my sig. GS 650 G, as far as I can tell from matching the vin and looking on the engine block.

Comment

As Mr. Blowerbike stated on another problem, sometimes the fiches are wrong/misleading. The oval hole going from air box to air filter box is vertical unlike the fiche! The opening ( where the filter element goes in ) in the air filter box faces to right. If I'm wrong on this , another 650 shaftie will chime in!
        I've never looked at a 550 but it's possible that this fiche is for that bike. It's possible that the 650 and 550 share a common airbox, but beware- many ebay sellers claim interchangeability that doesn't exist.
        Did you crank it over yet?
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Not yet

As was mentioned it would probably be smart to part this one out, but I never claimed to be smart. Slow going as I don't have much time and don't know what I am doing. I researched and traced all my electrical parts and wires for getting it started. Did an ok cleaning on all the ends and had to replace some missing ends. I didn't know if I had all parts needed for starting so I had to research that. Good news, I have all electrical parts and hopefully they all work. The ignition coils boots are all broken and I had to remove a ton of rust off them. I didn't have a key, so I bought an ignition key set off ebay. Funny thing is the key works in all my current locks... I am still trying to get all the rust out of the gas tank. The petcock is toast so I have one coming from z1. I am thinking Friday I will hear it purr.

Comment

Originally posted by Mop Bucket View Post
            Not yet

As was mentioned it would probably be smart to part this one out, but I never claimed to be smart. Slow going as I don't have much time and don't know what I am doing. I am thinking Friday I will hear it purr.
            As I hinted before, you really should do an inventory of what you need for this bike. Before you clean out ebay, take stock of what you have. For the present time, buy only what you need to get it running and see how it works. This motor has car type main bearings and requires a high pressure oil pump to keep those bearings happy. If the oil system has been neglected, you're looking at big trouble in Las Vegas. Be happy, but be realistic!
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
            X