Won't start with Choke on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Won't start with Choke on

My bike was running fine 2 days ago but the valve gasket was leaking. So I pulled the valve cover, in the process had to remove one of the choke plungers to get the valve cover off. Double check the valves, and they are all in spec. And left it apart for a day since my part was still on its way. So I get it all reassembled, adjusted my air screws because some of my plugs were lean.

I Come out this morning after a cold evening last night, put the choke on and start it up... and it only idles at about 1k. Get it warmed up, and it runs rough under throttle, figure I mis-adjusted the air screws. I pulled it apart tonight to readjust the air screws. With the re-adjustment the bike is running much better now, but it won't start with the choke on. It will start with no choke but as soon as I engage the choke the bike stalls out and dies.

I'm thinking maybe something got in the carbs while the plunger was out? Do the carbs need to be pulled and checked again? Or is it something all together different?

It's strange how no one is offering guidance here- I guess these weird carbs aren't popular.Anyhows, when you reinstalled choke plunger, did you make sure all parts were there and facing right direction going back in?You say it won't start with choke on (warm, cold?), but will start with no choke.If it dies when you activate choke, that sounds like like serious flooding- you would think that other carb could muddle along.
    Since it was running fine before gasket repair- it's most likely something in the choke plunger area. Check it again against a parts diagram.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Yea no worries. Was hoping someone had some thoughts before I pulled everything apart again. Guess I have a project for tomorrow now. Thanks for the thoughts.

Comment

Try putting the screws back where they were?
        Perhaps it's adjusted so rich that any choke at all makes it too rich to run?
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          Try putting the screws back where they were?
          Perhaps it's adjusted so rich that any choke at all makes it too rich to run?

Tkent is wise the idle adjustment may also be at odds with proper running now you have adjusted the screws.

Dial em back to where they were and try again.

the plungers are real pigs as they can stick. that may be contributing to your problem.

Comment

Working...
          X