Intake O-rings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intake O-rings

I just changed my intake o-rings (flat as a board). My intake boots are different from the ones in Bwringer's tutorial. The sync ports are not on the boots. They are on an extension from the engine. The boots are shorter but are marked Left and Right. I puts the 2 lefts on the left and the 2 rights on the right. With the sync ports not on the boots I wonder if it even matters. My question is...Can you orient the boot wrong as long as you have it on the correct side? You can rotate it 180 degrees. On the Lefts I put the little "L" facing to the left which left the words "Made in Japan" on the rim of the boot readable and at the bottom. If I put the "R" facing to the right on the right boots, the "Made in Japan" was upside down. I doubt any of this matters. I oriented the right boots so the "Made in Japan was readable and at the bottom, thus the little "R's" were facing to the left.
    1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
    1983 GS 1100 G
    2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
    2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
    1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Replaced my intake boots a couple weeks ago on my 82 1100GK (8 valve).
    I too was puzzled about the orientation of the boots, since I really didnt notice how they came off. I thought the R and the L was all I needed to know. Realized too late that could get them upside down.
    After pondering it, and looking at various options, I concluded that the L and the R had to be more toward on the top. THis way the face of the boots were all in the same flat plane. (hard to describe).

If you get it wrong the carbs will not fit.
    So, if in doubt just finger tight the bolts and hold the carbs in place to verify.

Last edited by Redman; 09-19-2010, 08:54 PM.
    http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
    Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

When there is a marking on a part, it always goes on top. The R and L should be on the top, so if you're sitting on the bike looking straight down you'll see L-L--R-R.

On horizontal parts, a marking or arrow would always go on the front, or pointing to the front.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Thanks, will check in the morning. I wondered if I was over-thinking this but I guess not. Now that I have SS socket head bolts and anti-seize it shouldn't be any problem to change.
        Last edited by 1948man; 09-20-2010, 12:49 AM.
        1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
        1983 GS 1100 G
        2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
        2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
        1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Working...
        X