Dyno kit or Air box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dyno kit or Air box

The PO or one of the PO's on my bike installed pod filters and a VH 4 into 1. The pods are not K&N

I've had the bike about a year, but work and other stuff has kept me off of it until just recently. I discover now that it seems to stumble and flatten out above 4500 rpm. Below that, it's just fine - pulls well. So I can keep up all the way to 65 mph, but not do much more than that. It could be carbs or the igniter, haven't really looked into it yet.

This winter I'm gonna do a lot of projects, including going thru the carbs with a full clean and rebuild. One of the possible reasons for the way the bike is running is that whoever put the pods on did not change anything in the carbs to account for the increased airflow.

I'm definitely keeping the V&H 4-1. Beyond that, should I plan and budget for a Dynojet Stage 3, or try to get all the parts to return to the stock airbox?

Just askin' for the collective wisdom and opinions....

st. 3 isn't much over a hundred bucks...
    kinda up to you i guess.

Comment

How do you want it to run?
      Maximum power at top RPM?
      Nice and smooth everywhere?
      Take your pick.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        How do you want it to run?
        Maximum power at top RPM?
        Nice and smooth everywhere?
        Take your pick.
        I'd prefer the smooth. It's one of the reasons I'm not riding a Hardley.

But just out of curiousity, why do we need to pick one or the other?

Comment

the 850's i have done..80 and later ran fine every where and had a few more HP with a pipe and stage 3.

Comment

Here's a short vid of my recently completed GS1000 that is going vintage racing. VH4/1, stage 3 kit and velocity stacks. Properly synching the carbs is critical. It sure is nice to be rid of the air box with its inherent air leaks. I never could get the idle to hold because of poorly fitting boots and airbox connector. Now it idles fine. Try the stage three and synch the carbs before giving up on the pods.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

I've run the same set of K&Ns for 24 years now on the stock CVs and with my current RS flatslides. With the CVs I ran a DJ Stage 3 kit and it was pretty much spot on after the kit install. I would never go back to the airbox just due to the ease of pulling the carbs. Properly cleaned and jetted carbs will make power everywhere.

Comment

i've been thinking about the stage 3 and pods. i sealed up the airbox when i rebuilt the carbs and she runs better. the boots between the carbs and airbox have become so hard and inflexible that the box will not move high enough to bolt up to the frame. i have styrofoam jammed between the back side of the box and the vertical frame member.

i mean 100 buck to replace the boots or a 100 bucks plus a few for stage 3 and pods? y'all's testimony sounds good. a good sync tool is on the list, the TOP of the list, anyway and i have a 4-n-1. not sure of brand, though.

Comment

I run a 4 into 1, K&N's and a stage three kit on my 82 850.
                  Took a little tinkering but all in all it was a lot easier than foolin with the stock airbox. Not to mention the pods just look better.
                  More than likely if the PO did the filters and pipes on your bike and its running at all then the jets and needles have been "adjusted". In my limited experience and understanding the CV's dont like to work at all with intake adjustments.
                  Mine wouldnt run at all till I did the rejet.

Oh, and if you cant run yours above 4500 RPM's you're missing out on a helluva treat and might as well be riding a "Hardly".
                  sigpic

82 GS850
                  78 GS1000
                  04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                  .................________-|___\____
                  ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

I ran both stock airbox & K&N's on my 1000G. Both stock exhaust & 4:1.

In my opinion the G bikes are better with the stock airbox (& maybe an Inbox K&N). Smoother, more torque etc & you don't have the airbox problem, G bikes are super easy on that front.

With the 4:1 & K&N inbox you can use the stock needles, raise them a bit using some washers (say 1 step) & throw in a main jet that is 2.5-5 over stock & you'll be fine.

Dan
                    1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by Octain View Post
                      I run a 4 into 1, K&N's and a stage three kit on my 82 850.
                      Took a little tinkering but all in all it was a lot easier than foolin with the stock airbox. Not to mention the pods just look better.
                      More than likely if the PO did the filters and pipes on your bike and its running at all then the jets and needles have been "adjusted". In my limited experience and understanding the CV's dont like to work at all with intake adjustments.
                      Mine wouldnt run at all till I did the rejet.

Oh, and if you cant run yours above 4500 RPM's you're missing out on a helluva treat and might as well be riding a "Hardly".
                      I had it out again tonight. The way it's acting, it may well be electrical, as in the igniter, coils, plug wires, or the plugs themselves. No, I haven't pulled plugs yet.

Above 3K, it will start to spit and sputter a bit. Feels like a cylinder or two are dropping out. Then, around the magical 4500 rpm mark, it really flattens out. HOWEVER, if I hold steady throttle at that point, it will gradually get smoother, and the rpms (& speed) increases accordingly. To state it another way, X% throttle does not produce the same rpms.

It LIKES acceleration, especially thru the 1st thru 3rd, not so much holding a steady throttle. Wierd

Like I said here and on other threads, I'm going thru it stem to stern this winter, so we'll see what turns up.

Comment

Find out what jets you have. Look inside and see what's going on. It's all just a big guess without this.
                        Does sound like poor jetting though, or clogged passages somewhere in the carbs, or slowly sliding slides, holey diaphragms, air leaking somewhere, or something else you will easily find by looking inside....

It's supposed to smoothly pull harder and harder until about 7,000 or so, then take off like a shot.
                        Last edited by tkent02; 09-29-2010, 11:48 PM.
                        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by wera racer View Post
                          Here's a short vid of my recently completed GS1000 that is going vintage racing. VH4/1, stage 3 kit and velocity stacks. .... Try the stage three and synch the carbs before giving up on the pods.
                          Nice bike, but it would be nicer if you were comparing apples to apples in your attempt to convince him.

You have a 1000 with VM carbs, he has an 850 with CV carbs.

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
                          I would never go back to the airbox just due to the ease of pulling the carbs.
                          I just love this statement.

But please tell me, why do your carbs have to come out so often?

I cleaned the carbs (strip, dip, o-rings, etc.) on my wife's bike 5 years ago. Since then, the carbs have come off the bike exactly ONCE, so I could change the cam chain adjuster gasket.

I know you guys brag about how easy it is to remove the carbs, but the last time I removed carbs on an 850 (I did "Junior" in early July), From the time I lifted the bike onto the centerstand, I had the carbs in-hand in 3 1/2 minutes (yes, I actually timed it). How much quicker does it need to be?

Originally posted by rideOn View Post
                          ... the boots between the carbs and airbox have become so hard and inflexible that the box will not move high enough to bolt up to the frame. ... i mean 100 buck to replace the boots or a 100 bucks plus a few for stage 3 and pods?
                          You are obviously shopping at the wrong places.
                          The boots from the carbs to the airbox are $22.50 each (total of $90, free shipping from G&S Suzuki
                          The boots from the airbox to the carbs are $9.51 each (total of $38.04), again, from G&S.

Originally posted by wisgolfer59 View Post
                          I had it out again tonight. ... Above 3K, it will start to spit and sputter a bit. Feels like a cylinder or two are dropping out. Then, around the magical 4500 rpm mark, it really flattens out. HOWEVER, if I hold steady throttle at that point, it will gradually get smoother, and the rpms (& speed) increases accordingly. To state it another way, X% throttle does not produce the same rpms. ...
                          You may be right, it's electrical, but not really.

Check the centrifugal advance mechanism on the right end of the crank. You should be able to twist it in one direction (I forget which way, but I think it's to the right) and it will spring back into place. If that is not able to move and advance the spark (that's the electrical part), it will start to flatten out just about where you say yours is.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

You may be right, it's electrical, but not really.

Check the centrifugal advance mechanism on the right end of the crank. You should be able to twist it in one direction (I forget which way, but I think it's to the right) and it will spring back into place. If that is not able to move and advance the spark (that's the electrical part), it will start to flatten out just about where you say yours is.
                            Yep - my 3 a.m. brain spasm told me to check the spark advance. (my middle-of-the-night seem to coincide with the bladder call )

One other possibility - I was thinking about the symptoms: Acceleration produces a higher vacuum level than just steady throttle. Do the petcocks on our bikes open a variable amount based upon vacuum, thereby acting as a fuel supply regulator, or are they just on-off? (Vacuum petcocks are new to me. I understand the principle, just never played with one much) Could the petcock be 'sluggish' at the lower vacuum level?

Comment

[QUOTE=wisgolfer59;1291700One other possibility - I was thinking about the symptoms: Acceleration produces a higher vacuum level than just steady throttle. Do the petcocks on our bikes open a variable amount based upon vacuum, thereby acting as a fuel supply regulator, or are they just on-off? (Vacuum petcocks are new to me. I understand the principle, just never played with one much) Could the petcock be 'sluggish' at the lower vacuum level?[/QUOTE]

Simple on - off function...
                              '85 GS550L - SOLD
                              '85 GS550E - SOLD
                              '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                              '81 GS750L - SOLD
                              '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                              '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
                              '82 GS1100G - SOLD
                              '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Working...
                              X