1981 GS650G carb rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 GS650G carb rebuild

hey guys, its been a while since i been on here. I had a few concerns with a customer's bike.. i just started to rebuild the carbs on his 1981 GS650G. It would start but wouldnt idle and fuel pours from the overflow and he wanted me to fix things. So far i found that everything was pretty nasty in there. I need to get some chemicals tomorrow to soak the metal parts in. Plenty of dirt and varnish on everything. On my KZ1000, the idle circuit screws are on top of the carbs right next to the vacuum advance nipple that helps the fuel tank valve supply gas to the carbs. On this, there are little plates with holes in them where the circuit screws should be. Im guessing they are covering them up. Are these plates removable? Also, the bike will not start unless you cover the airbox with your hand to help it suck more gas. What would usually cause that? I fixed it on my 1000 when i did all the work to it but i really dont know what i fixed when i did the work

Thanks guys,
    KT

Hi,

Yes, those caps come off. Put a screw into them and pull them out. You may want to drill a very tiny, very shallow (you don't want to damage the mixture screws beneath the caps) hole to start the screw. Then grab the screw with some pliers or vice grips and pull the caps off.

This is what the mixture screws look like uncovered.

Then you will want to follow the world-renowned Carb Cleanup Series guide and install a new set of O-rings from http://cycleorings.com.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
    X