Choke plunger leaking???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Choke plunger leaking???

Have been getting great advice lately from GSR regarding my '81 GS850G running rich. May have found something.

I pulled the choke plunger from #1 Carb, pulled the sealing cap off & reinserted the plunger body. While blowing a bit of air into the outlet in carb throat, I held tip of incencse stick into the area of the plunger bore & it was obvious that air was blowing back thru even if I pressed fairly hard. The tip of the incense stick lit up & the smoke was pushed away as if I were gently blowing on it.

I looked at the rubber sealing area of the plunger and it is a wee bit rough, just a bit but it seems enough to fail to seal. I haven't split the carbs but bet if this one is bad the rest are in similar shape. I would think the plunger should have a perfect seal or it will allow excess fuel to create the rich mixture I am getting.

The Suzuki parts picture does not show the plunger as a separate part nor do the SUDCO or K&L books. I would like to replace these plungers but are they even available? Big trouble if not. Any ideas here?
    As always thank you for all your previous help. Maybe someday I'll know something that will be useful to someone on the list.

DH

Yes, these things do leak. I've never seen them listed anywhere and have just swapped them over from spare sets of carbs (luckily they are a common part). They will, of course, lead to a massive over-rich mixture if faulty.

I keep thinking one day I'll set about finding a repair as the supply of good used ones has got to dry up.

Oh, an the other problem they suffer from - they stick. Sometimes this is because the choke mechanism hasn't been aligned properly before the screws are tightend up and sometimes they just don't seem to sit well in the bore.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Choke plunger leaking???

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
      Yes, these things do leak. I've never seen them listed anywhere and have just swapped them over from spare sets of carbs (luckily they are a common part). They will, of course, lead to a massive over-rich mixture if faulty.

I keep thinking one day I'll set about finding a repair as the supply of good used ones has got to dry up.

Oh, an the other problem they suffer from - they stick. Sometimes this is because the choke mechanism hasn't been aligned properly before the screws are tightend up and sometimes they just don't seem to sit well in the bore.
      Thanks hampshirehog. I actually realized I was blowing air into the wrong orifce but when I figured out the passage from the float chamber is what leads to the opening the plunger blocks I still found air seeping past, tho not as much.

Well I hope SUDCO can find a not to costly replacement.
      DH

Comment

Working...
      X