Replacing Throttle Cables GS400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing Throttle Cables GS400

Sorry if this is a bit of a newb question but I've never done this before.

While I was swapping out handlebars on my '77 GS400, I found out that one of my throttle cables was rusted in the middle, and broke, so I decided it was a good idea to replace both cables.

The trouble is that I can't really see how I can get the throttle cables ball ends out of the carb, without removing the carbs altogether.

Since I'd rather not do that, is there some way to get the cables off without going that far?

Originally posted by marquis View Post
    Sorry if this is a bit of a newb question but I've never done this before.

While I was swapping out handlebars on my '77 GS400, I found out that one of my throttle cables was rusted in the middle, and broke, so I decided it was a good idea to replace both cables.

The trouble is that I can't really see how I can get the throttle cables ball ends out of the carb, without removing the carbs altogether.

Since I'd rather not do that, is there some way to get the cables off without going that far?
    It's usually easier to remove fuel tank, so you can see what's going on- especially the first time. I take it you have the push /pull setup. You do not want to take off carbs for this.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Hi,

It might be tough to manipulate the ball ends without removing the carbs. Here's what mine look like.

Move the rocker arm until you can remove the ball at the end of the cable.

For more pictures, see the Air Intake Repair guide on my website.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks to both of you. I started to realize how difficult this might be after pulling the tank off. Getting my fingers into the rocker with the carbs still on hasn't been all that effective yet. I'm going to take a sedative and try to fiddle with it for a few hours, before I try to haul the carbs off.

Comment

Originally posted by marquis View Post
          Thanks to both of you. I started to realize how difficult this might be after pulling the tank off. Getting my fingers into the rocker with the carbs still on hasn't been all that effective yet. I'm going to take a sedative and try to fiddle with it for a few hours, before I try to haul the carbs off.
          Don't forget to loosen things up at handlebar end.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

really long needle nose pliers and a lot of patience, it will come out, and you can get it back in again the same way.

Comment

Working...
            X