Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fixing fuel tap question

Hi y'all

My fuel tap doesn't work as it should so I'm about to set to work on it.

At the moment on is res and res is on and i dont know what happens if you put it on prime , also the line from the back of the fuel tap to the carbies is plugged at the tap and the carb (my bike is a 450e 8/83) . SO. I bought a new petcock diaphragm to put it and I'm hopeing when I have the tap apart I'll find that the previous owner has just not put one in hence the tap not working properly.
    Replacing the petcock D doesnt seem difficult so the reason for this post Is to ask , Once the tap is repaired do I just attatch a hose from the back of the fuel tap to that intake pipe on the right carby (the two that are blocked at the moment) and away she goes , or will there need to be some adjustment made to the carbs once the fuel tap and that line is put back on ?
    I hope I haven't rambled to much and this is understandable

regards Simon
    Last edited by Guest; 09-24-2010, 06:07 AM.

Wow, your pic came down LARGE- I might have to get a 30 inch monitor!

Anyways, you're on the right track! That hose is the vacuum hose which (if it's working correctly) will allow fuel to flow down fuel line whenever engine is running and petcock is set to run or res position. Prime allows fuel to flow at all times, so it would be up to carb floats to hold it back.
    On this part of the planet, we've had poor luck repairing suzuki petcocks. Many have tried and many have just bought new petcocks later.
    I hope you have better luck!
    If you find fuel dribbling or pouring down this vacuum line, you'll know what others have already discovered- repair kits are useless.
    If petcock works right, the carbs probably won't need fiddling after you attach vacuum line. Let us know if it works.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
    X