Replacements for '82 GS650GL gas tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacements for '82 GS650GL gas tank

Hi everyone; I just bought a 1982 GS 650GL as something to work on and learn on.

The bike in general is in quite good shape, but the gas tank is a mess. The PO applied some sort of sealant but did it wrong, so now it's flaking off inside, looks terrible, plus there's rust where the sealant came off. The petcock is also in less-than-stellar condition, so I'm hoping to just replace the whole tank+petcock assembly.

With that in mind, what tanks could I use to replace mine? I could, of course, try to search up a 82 GS650 tank, but it would be nice if there were some other models/years that I can also keep my eyes out for. There are a bunch of tanks on Ebay from the 81-83 period that *look* about right and come from 450s, 550s, 750s, 1100s, etc--will any of these work on my bike?

Thanks in advance

As far as I know, the only direct replacement is another 650L tank. An 850 may work with a little tweeking and retrofit.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
      As far as I know, the only direct replacement is another 650L tank. An 850 may work with a little tweeking and retrofit.
      What about the tank from a 1982 GS 650 G?

Comment

Different mounting points on the rear of the tank and 'I think' the tank
        itself is longer with the front mounting points being too far ahead.

Comment

I have one for sale off my 81 650gl. Let me know if your interested.
          I didnt do it I swear !!

--------------------------
          http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/...Picture003.jpg 1982 GS850G

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/...n1/Picture.jpg 1980 GS1100L

Comment

Originally posted by PhamNuwen View Post
            What about the tank from a 1982 GS 650 G?
            L models have smaller tank- 3.2 gal vs G and E 4.2 gal- if your bike has stepped seat, it probably has smaller tank.
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
            X