No announcement yet.

Fixing up my gas tank + effectiveness of petcock filters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, so following up, I got a new tank on ebay; it looks good, the price was great, but the only problem is that I can't seem to get the cap off. On my other tank, I can open the cap with the key or a screwdriver, but on this one the lock doesn't turn. Is it stuck, or does it need a specific key?

Comment

Originally posted by PhamNuwen View Post
      Ok, so following up, I got a new tank on ebay; it looks good, the price was great, but the only problem is that I can't seem to get the cap off. On my other tank, I can open the cap with the key or a screwdriver, but on this one the lock doesn't turn. Is it stuck, or does it need a specific key?
      You need the key to that tank lock. Take it to a locksmith and have him make you a couple. He might even be able to rekey it to your ignition key.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
        You need the key to that tank lock. Take it to a locksmith and have him make you a couple. He might even be able to rekey it to your ignition key.
        Grr, ok. So was my old cap just broken, since I could open it with a screwdriver? That was actually kind of convenient

Comment

I poured 5 gallons of vinegar into my 850 tank, let it sit for three days, then flushed everything out. My God I didn't think it was every going to stop. Worked like a charm but the downside to this (and I don't know if anything else would have helped) is you have to rinse it with salt water.

Salt neutralizes the acetic acid, which is what you want, but after you rinse it you get a super light coating of rust. Not much you can do about that I guess. Anyway, I dired it real quick then selaed it with Red Kote. Tank looks great inside and nothing is coming through the fuel lines. Total cost - about $12.00.

I should add that the tank had not been sealed previously so I didn't have the issue you do. I doubt vinegar would work on that.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Buster-boy View Post
            I poured 5 gallons of vinegar into my 850 tank, let it sit for three days, then flushed everything out. My God I didn't think it was every going to stop. Worked like a charm but the downside to this (and I don't know if anything else would have helped) is you have to rinse it with salt water.

Salt neutralizes the acetic acid, which is what you want, but after you rinse it you get a super light coating of rust. Not much you can do about that I guess. Anyway, I dired it real quick then selaed it with Red Kote. Tank looks great inside and nothing is coming through the fuel lines. Total cost - about $12.00.

I should add that the tank had not been sealed previously so I didn't have the issue you do. I doubt vinegar would work on that.

Jim
            I can't figure why you would neutralize acid with salt water, it isn't akaline, baking soda water would work to neutralize if you wish. Salt water would tend to cause it to oxidize and rust again. Plain tap water would work just fine also. Dilution is the solution.

Comment

So after almost a week away for a conference, I got back and took the tank to a locksmith. He couldn't pick the lock (something must be bent inside it) but he was able to take a screwdriver and pop it open; I then replaced it with my other cap.

Now the problem is figuring out how the $*!@ the previous owner got the gas line hooked up to the petcock... it looks to be about 3-5 inches short! I think I'll go find an inline fuel filter, a chunk of hose, and kill two birds with one stone; just disappointed that I couldn't fire the bike up today!

Comment

Don't do the fuel filter...you'll be hating life. There are several dozen threads on here recommending why people should stay away from them. Do a search for more information
                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Fuel filters are fine if you get the right one. The cheapo ones from bike shops can cause more trouble then they are worth. I have had good success with k and n wide pancake type filters.
                  78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                  82 Kat 1000 Project
                  05 CRF450x
                  10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Personally I belive in cleaning and sealing the tank properly and skip the filter.

Comment

Don't do the fuel filter...you'll be hating life. There are several dozen threads on here recommending why people should stay away from them. Do a search for more information
                      I don't know where that comes from, I have used in line filters on my bike for most of its life and never had a problem.

Comment

Filters often cause a reduction in fuel flow and can cause starvation at times of high demand. The bike was NOT designed to use one and should not need one. If your tank is trash do the job right, derust and seal the tank.

Comment

Working...
                        X