Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steve View Post
    I think you missed the point. I said "YOUR first task ..."

I don't know of any engine that small that would have a turbo. For the cost and effort involved in adding a turbo to that size engine, you could substitute a larger engine that would be easier and cheaper.

If you have never been involved in turbocharging an engine, sit down and realize what you are up against. There are kits to put a turbo on a motorcycle, so obviously, it's possible. I don't think I have ever seen a bike with twin turbos, let alone multiples. Even though you claim to have "a lot of welding" experience, just locating the turbos will be hard. By "locating", I don't mean finding them, I mean putting them on the bike. Where were you thinking of putting them?

There are two locations I have seen for the single-turbo setup. On a more-or-less stock bike, they will remove the carbs and airbox and mount the turbo in that area under the tank. The exhaust will either snake around the side of the engine, back to the turbo, or it will go under, and come up between the engine and the swingarm. (On the 850, that exhaust setup won't work.) The single exhaust from the turbo will usually exit out the left side, drop down along the frame rail, then go toward the back. On the intake side, there is a single carb that is mounted to the intake of the turbo, so at least the intake side is somewhat easy.

I know this is not on a GS, but it shows a turbo installed and the single exhaust going down and back.
    This bike has the exhaust pipes under the engine, coming up to the turbo behind the engine, so you can't see them.

Now try to duplicate that with two or four turbos.

The other installation method I have seen is usually on drag bikes. That is because the turbo is mounted low, in front of the engine. The front end might have to be raked out a bit to make room for it, but this picture shows the location:

Now to get down to "why".
    Other than just having 'fun' or doing an engineering exercise, the main reason for using multiple turbos instead of a single one is to reduce the "lag", which is the time it take for the turbo to start making boost. A smaller turbo has less mass and will spool up quicker, giving boost quicker. A turbo small enough for the 850 will probably spool up quickly enough, I don't think the split-second difference between the single- and double-turbos would really be noticeable.

More things to consider:
    Converting an engine to pressurized intake has other considerations. The compression ratio of the engine in the bike is already reasonably high for performance. By simply hanging a turbo on there, you will not be able to use much boost, meaning you won't see much of an increase in power. That's a LOT of work for not much reward. By lowering the compression ratio, you will lose a bit of power when not using boost (which will be most of the time), but will be able to use more boost, which will really wake up the engine. The cams that are in the engine are ground to maximize efficiency at the upper end of the band, while still being docile enough to give respectable performance at idle and low speeds. The very characteristics that give the cam high-end performance work against it for turbo use, so you might have to look for a milder cam, and that would have to be custom-ground.

We have several racing guys on the forum, but I have not seen any of them respond to this thread yet. Probably because virtually all of the performance-related improvements are directed at the 16-valve engines.

I agree that the concept of a turbo (or two, or four) on an 850 is interesting, but if you simply want a bit more power, pull the 850 engine out and substitute a 1000 or 1100 engine. They pretty much bolt right it, but you have to move the driveshaft over along with the engine.

Not trying to discourage you, just giving you food for thought.

I had a feeling Id be responsible for tracking the turbo's(cant blame me for looking to see if anyone had anything already known lol)

I suppose alittle more planning and then maybe a thread would have been a better idea. To be honest a quad turbo'd bike is looking to be pretty impossible. However a twin turbo'd bike might not be nearly as impossible.

The point of this is and while it sounds like a waste, is not for performance but for uniqueness. Locally 04-09 gsxr's are a dime a dozen, busa's and harley's while fewer are also not rare by any stretch. Id like to be completely unique as whats the fun in riding exactly or super close too what everyone else is on?

As for replacing the 850 with a 1K or bigger Im actually thinking that might be a better idea for now and then later on turbo that. If this engine swap is done I would convert it too chain for sure as then Id be less in the fun market and move more to the fun and high performing market which would probably be a step in the right direction.

Its really becoming more clear also that the battery will need to be moved and alot will actually be needed to move to get this to work. I have a fair understanding for a turbo BUT does a turbo require a specific angle or can it be more or less crammed in upside or whatever which way i need?

Now this leads me to something Im still trying to make heads or tails of, Does the 850 have the frame of a 1K but basically a bored up 750 motor?

Comment

Until you take into account that whole chain / shaft drive thing.

As far as I know, there were no 16-valve shafties and all 850s were shaft-driven.

I meant a whole different bike. Shoulda clarified.
      Dogma
      --
      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
      '80 GS850 GLT
      '80 GS1000 GT
      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by silent_soul View Post
        As for replacing the 850 with a 1K or bigger Im actually thinking that might be a better idea for now and then later on turbo that. If this engine swap is done I would convert it too chain for sure as then Id be less in the fun market and move more to the fun and high performing market which would probably be a step in the right direction.

Its really becoming more clear also that the battery will need to be moved and alot will actually be needed to move to get this to work. I have a fair understanding for a turbo BUT does a turbo require a specific angle or can it be more or less crammed in upside or whatever which way i need?

Now this leads me to something Im still trying to make heads or tails of, Does the 850 have the frame of a 1K but basically a bored up 750 motor?
        Shaft to chain conversion and vice-versa is another only-possible-with-enough-time-and-money thing.

The relationships between 750, 850 and 1000 depend on what year. Up to late '81, the 750 and 850 were related. After that, the 850 is more like the 1000.

I'm not sure on the turbocharger orientation question. My guess is that they prefer any orientation where the shaft is horizontal. There is probably varying tolerance for vertical positioning depending on model.

The fact that you're thinking about changing an 850 to chain drive suggests that you don't have much motorcycle work experience. In which case, this whole thing will be way over your head. Start with maintenance, then tuning, then mods, then you can attempt re-engineering the whole engine.
        Dogma
        --
        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
        '80 GS850 GLT
        '80 GS1000 GT
        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
          Shaft to chain conversion and vice-versa is another only-possible-with-enough-time-and-money thing.

The relationships between 750, 850 and 1000 depend on what year. Up to late '81, the 750 and 850 were related. After that, the 850 is more like the 1000.

I'm not sure on the turbocharger orientation question. My guess is that they prefer any orientation where the shaft is horizontal. There is probably varying tolerance for vertical positioning depending on model.

The fact that you're thinking about changing an 850 to chain drive suggests that you don't have much motorcycle work experience. In which case, this whole thing will be way over your head. Start with maintenance, then tuning, then mods, then you can attempt re-engineering the whole engine.
          As for changing over to chain was in reference to replacing the motor. Because if im putting a different motor In might as well change the whole bike over to a chain drive which would be new rear wheel and swingarm among other things. I have no desire to change the 850 shafty to a chain.

And yes my turbo question was about the placement whether it matters much what angle the shaft is at, I assumed horizontal but was curious if it really mattered all that much.

My bike is a 79 btw so takes more after a 750?

Comment

The point of this is and while it sounds like a waste, is not for performance but for uniqueness. Locally 04-09 gsxr's are a dime a dozen, busa's and harley's while fewer are also not rare by any stretch. Id like to be completely unique as whats the fun in riding exactly or super close too what everyone else is on?
            If your primary goal is to be "unique", all you have to do is show up on a STOCK GS.

Precious few of them show up at bike meets, you will get a lot of attention with a stock 850.
            (Especially with your '79. It was the only year that had a kick starter.)

Converting a shaft bike to a chain would be an exercise in futility. Besides the obvious difference in the engine, the frame is different, as well as the swingarm and wheel. It would be far easier (and cheaper) to sell the shaftie and just start with the chain-drive bike in the first place.

Let's face it; after changing the engine, frame, swingarm and rear wheel, all you have left is the forks, seat and body work.

Virtually all of the ones that I have seen, the shaft was horizontal. Not sure if it's a requirement, though.

The part number cross-reference shows that the frames of the '80 and '81 850 and 1000 are the same.
            It also shows that the frames of the '82 and '83 850 and 1100 are the same, but different from the earlier frames.

Not sure what changed from '79 to '80 that would affect the frame, but it has a different part number.
            Might have been as simple as different mounting tabs for the airbox, I just don't know.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Unfortunately My 79 is not a kickstart bike. Which now makes me wonder if it is actually a 79 lol

There are a few GS's that run around town that are stock however I think I will stick with the 850 shafty and look at running a small twin turbo set up and god forbid a single turbo set up lol. I am however seriously considering a bigger chain driven GS for a different project later. And Yes unique but Im not going to be a performance queen about this build but Id thoroughly enjoy having a turbo bike for the sake of having a turbo bike and what more fun than having an engineering nightmare to get it that way.

Something I didnt think about will the turbo setup prematurely wear out the shaft drive setup? assuming Im running a very low boost level.

Edit:

Small update while looking on an s-10 forum for what i thought might be a turbo'd dirtbike I learned a few things. dirtbikes apparently cant be turbo'd and s-10 guys are weird.

anyways i found this posted by a guy on there

250cc = .25L soooooooo looks like im looking for a .5L turbo for a twin set up or a 1.0L turbo for a single set up, which I dont think ill find unless they made turbo's for rider mowers...hmmmm
              Last edited by Guest; 09-30-2010, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Small update while looking on an s-10 forum for what i thought might be a turbo'd dirtbike I learned a few things. dirtbikes apparently cant be turbo'd and s-10 guys are weird.

anyways i found this posted by a guy on there

250cc = .25L soooooooo looks like im looking for a .5L turbo for a twin set up or a 1.0L turbo for a single set up, which I dont think ill find unless they made turbo's for rider mowers...hmmmm
                Besides the actual displacement, you also have to consider the engine speed.
                That is why turbos are rated for flow, not displacement.

Many years ago (back in 1975) I had a turbo installed on my Toyota Corolla. The guy that did it used the same basic equipment that he installed on the 1600cc VW Beetles, because my engine was also a 1600. What he forgot to take into account was that the Bugs would redline between 4500 and 5000 rpm, my Corolla would go to 6500+. There is a LOT more air moving at the higher revs. Forgetting to take that extra air into account cost me dearly. Let's just say that the jetting in the carb was not quite correct.

After that little fiasco was sorted out, it was a great little grocery-getter.

Yes, it got them QUICKLY.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

So aside from actually finding small enough turbos to even do a twin turbo set up I need to take into account the increased flow, which Is the whole point.

However a twin turbo set up that equals the same Liters as a bigger single turbo would still function the same the twin turbo would simply eliminate some lag and take up alot more space correct?

so i need like stated earlier something built for a 425cc bike rated for redline at 9K? roughly.

Comment

so i need like stated earlier something built for a 425cc bike rated for redline at 9K? roughly.
                    That's the concept. Good luck with your search.

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride

Comment

That's the concept. Good luck with your search.

Ive started looking into atv turbo's however the closest is a 800cc atv but its a single kit and is 4k and is specifically built for that atv so im gonna hit up some of the local car guys for any turbo options. I emailed a few places that built custom turbos so now ill play the waiting game on that too.

Comment

Nothing a little JB Weld couldn't fix........

Comment

Originally posted by wisgolfer59 View Post
                          Nothing a little JB Weld couldn't fix........
                          That and a little bit of Mother's Polish.
                          sigpic
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride

Comment

Idk a guy at one of the local shows said he had a buddy who fixed a cracked engine block with JB weld, and said the same guy was working on a hardtail'd bike that would be held together by JB weld....I cringe at the idea lol.

Anyways found a 250cc turbo, its a Lombardini TD025M-03C now I can only find people talking about it and non for sale and no one selling them. so i still cant really ball park a price.

Comment

Anyways found a 250cc turbo, its a Lombardini TD025M-03C now I can only find people talking about it and non for sale and no one selling them. so i still cant really ball park a price.
                              Don't worry, it will cost a LOT more than you paid for your bike.

sigpic
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride

Comment

Click HERE to go to turbokart.com.

Select Turbine Projects from the left row of buttons, then select the Turbo eXciter Kart.

Interesting reading.

sigpic
                                Family Portrait
                                Siblings and Spouses
                                Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                                X