Turbo'd GS850G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice link, Steve!

OH...if time and money were not an option, just think of the fun one could have!

Comment

And most would agree that tuning a GS for a pipe and pods, is a rough gig. Add to that the 1-15 psi boost AND the carbs and you will spend more money on new plugs, than you did fir the bike.

Comment

Yeah, but think of how UNIQUE it would be.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I found that turbokart site too and definently booked it for some reading, also came across this:

http://www.sdsefi.com/features/apr00stool.htm

running some turbo setup similiar to this would allow me to have my quad turbo setup, however I will admit im no turbo master. However considering this is all about displacement I cant exceed 1 liter of displacement at 9k or I will cause damage and other bad things.

However what if my displacement is less, As in the link I posted up its a single turbo running on a 160cc motor sooo I could put four on my bike and still technically have room for another 210cc's of displacement but would I need to use that extra available space? Or by not using that id just not be tapping into my bikes full potential(limited as it may be already)

Edit:

well it appears garret makes a turbo for .4L -1.2L motors So I basically could run two of these turbos for a twin turbo set up its the GT1241

then they have 3 rated for 1.0L(my max roughly) to 1.6L Now clearly 1.6L's is too much and so Im curious how these turbos have a range of .8L's for the first and the second is .6L's how can I keep a turbo from "overspooling" i think would be the correct terminalogy. because two GT1241's tuned correctly to .5L's would be perfect for my twin set up.

here is the spreadsheet im looking at btw:
          http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob...ison_sheet.htm
          Last edited by Guest; 09-30-2010, 08:53 PM.

Comment

I havent seen anyone mention the fact that the driveline is gonna be hard pressed to withstand the added HP... What kind of HP numbers are you looking at? Are you building this for reliability?? Yes, Im quite aware cars use a similar set up to a shaft drive GS, but they are much more substantial... I dont think a shaftie is going to have the sand to withstand anything worth doing with turbos... But, im no turbo master, or motor building genius either...

Comment

if you really want to turbo an 850 get a GS1000 kit or even a Z1/KZ kit.
              both of these kits are really close to fitting and if your bike was a 79 then the GS kit would bolt on.
              these kits use rajays with single draw through carbs and don't require a huge amount of oil pressure.
              all the multi turbo stuff is just fluff..
              to turbo or not to turbo..
              that is the question?
              and yes..

with a tight clutch a 850 turbo can run a 10

Comment

Too many turbos

Why not just use one? MAybe, you can find one from a CX650 turbo or the little 3 cylinder Suzuki/Geo/Chevy Sprint? You don't gain anything with more. But if you buy a new one, you have the choice of shoosing the air flow and the A/R too. How much boost to run? And then, you can actually blow thru the stock CV's. Actually, it works really well. But there are other things needed to make it work so this was a teaser. Start looking at turbo bike web sites. And, why not get a 1000G engien to start with? Much easier to get parts for it. Note, you can space the cylinder and head up a little to get 8:1CR. But max boost and cylinder pressure will need to be kept under control as the stock pistons are cast and really won't last long. Welded crank? HD Clutch basket? Maybe even spring for a straight gear set? I think the rest of the drive line would stand up to more power and torque. Look at the GSX1100G. Used the same ring gear diameter along with much the same universal joints and even the splined read drive is the same.
                Some food for thought?
                Laters
                G
                sigpic1983 1100 Katana - soon to be turbo Busa powered.
                2007 GSXR1K-Sold-But not forgotten.
                Have 2X ZG14 engine's for '81 GS750E project.
                '82 GS750E frame is TITLED awaiting GSXR1127/12B engine and '81 1100E slowly being built.:eek:

Comment

WHATEVER you do... if you plan on using turbo...or any "hot mods"...get yourself a heavy duty clutch backing plate or just have the clutch done.. Oh the terrible terrible things that can happen to a helical clutch basket that sees more load than it can take...

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!

and there you are, sitting on your arse in the middle of the road wondering WTF just happened...and your poor bike has a freshly ventilated set of cases...

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                    ...and your poor bike has a freshly ventilated set of cases...
                    Yep, kinda takes the concept of "air-cooled motorcycle engine" to a new level.

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!

and there you are, sitting on your arse in the middle of the road wondering WTF just happened...and your poor bike has a freshly ventilated set of cases...
                      Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      Yep, kinda takes the concept of "air-cooled motorcycle engine" to a new level.

Maaaannnnnnnnnnnnn you guys be peeing on the parade!

OH...watch out for a lean burn condition and pre ignition when really spool'n. Twill makes Steves' Corolla piston look like an uncut jewl and yours, like a wad of gum, under the bleechers, at the World Series.

Seriously, anything can be done and in some cases...should be. If this is something you really want to spend time and money on, GO FOR IT! I'll cheer you on!
                      Last edited by Dave8338; 09-30-2010, 11:16 PM.

Comment

so about how much can a stock drivetrain take psi wise? I was looking around 4psi i think people assume im look for a 15+ psi set up

Comment

4 psi? Why even bother?
                          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                            4 psi? Why even bother?
                            I agree.

For all the work and MONEY that will be involved, I would not even start planning anything on it unless it made at least 10 psi.

Referring back to my turbo Corolla post, I can just say that it woke up very nicely at 11 psi. It was an outright rocket at 22.

How much will an 850 handle? Please let us know, I don't think anyone has done it yet.

sigpic
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                              I agree.

For all the work and MONEY that will be involved, I would not even start planning anything on it unless it made at least 10 psi.

Referring back to my turbo Corolla post, I can just say that it woke up very nicely at 11 psi. It was an outright rocket at 22.

How much will an 850 handle? Please let us know, I don't think anyone has done it yet.

I think this will turn into just for the sake of doing it, and i know some people wont understand. oh well. I mean I paid 900 for my bike, so considering the turbo is 600 this isnt really going to be a money thing and more of a fun thing.

in the end i guess ill have a list of what your carbs need tuned too, and what blows up first from a turbo setup.
                              Last edited by Guest; 10-01-2010, 01:37 PM.

Comment

........in the end i guess ill have a list of what your carbs need tuned too, and what blows up first from a turbo setup.
                                You may want to consider at least wearing a cup......

Comment

Working...
                                X