running on 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

running on 3

hey guys, im moving over to this forum because what i thought was an electrical problem is more than likley fuel related on my 77 gs550 -namely faulty petcock not letting number 3 pot fire properly. ive noticed that their seems to be different views on weather to rebuild a petcock or purchase a complete new unit, im not fussed either way so long as i can get suzie running right. (ill just have to go without woodstock for a while!)if you think a rebuild is okay, thats good. can anyone suggest a site as ive heard that some of the rebuild kits on ebay have inferior rubber that doesent last long any advice appriecated,regards,steve

Disconnect the vacuum line from the #3 carb, plug the vacuum port into the #3 carb, run the engine with the petcock on PRI. Turn it to ON when you shut the bike off, you are using PRI to turn it on as a manual petcock, on becomes off with no vacuum.
    See if it doesn't start running better on #3.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

thanks for the advice, i done the test as you described it didnt make any difference at all tested all for spark again got heaps. this is really starting to get frustrating! if ive got spark, and running the bike on prime as described doesent make any difference, whats left? the only thing i can think of is maybe ive missed a blockage in no.3 carby. im open to all suggestions-please hellllllllllllp! regards, steve

Comment

ok guys, just had an idea- if the pilot fuel screw on no. three carby has had the tip broken off-i.e blunt end,and the tip could be still stuck in the hole, could maybe this be the cause of no. 3 failing to fire?(iknow, im grasping at straws!) regs, steve

Comment

Originally posted by steveq View Post
          ok guys, just had an idea- if the pilot fuel screw on no. three carby has had the tip broken off-i.e blunt end,and the tip could be still stuck in the hole, could maybe this be the cause of no. 3 failing to fire?(iknow, im grasping at straws!) regs, steve
          Man, I need a roadmap with this forum switching! I doubt pilot screw is this problem- you're running on main jet mostly! You said in other forum that you did smell petrol in oil, so now that you've blocked off this vacuum line(You still have it blocked off, right???), have you taken it for a decent run to see if it will clean out? maybe the gas washed oil off the rings and you have worn rings anyways? If plug #3 still looks wet, maybe #3 carb has float problems.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
          X