Capitalizing w/ 4-1 exhaust and pods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Capitalizing w/ 4-1 exhaust and pods

I have an '82 1100GL which has pod filters and a 4-1 exhaust. I recently put 130 mikuni main jets in. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what else I should do. Pilot jets, what my mixture screws should be at etc.. Thanks.

Since the stock mains were 115, 130 is probably a decent starting point.

You might want to consider "shimming" the needles.

Stock pilot jets should work OK, try the adjustment screws out about 3 turns as a starting point.

Of course, this all assumes that the carbs are properly cleaned and have good o-rings and other gaskets.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Get a Dynojet stage 3 kit and run it.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I might just suck it up and buy the DJ stage 3. But for now, I have a flat spot in the open throttle/ top rev range. I thought that replacing the main jets would cure that.

Comment

Originally posted by marcopasco39 View Post
          I might just suck it up and buy the DJ stage 3. But for now, I have a flat spot in the open throttle/ top rev range. I thought that replacing the main jets would cure that.
          Generally if it doesn't pull hard WOT from 4-5K to redline the mains are wrong.

Comment

What brand of pods and pipe?

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
              Generally if it doesn't pull hard WOT from 4-5K to redline the mains are wrong.
              That's what I was thinking but I just put in mikuni 130s, thought that would be a good start. I have emgo filters (yeah cheap i know). Not sure what exhaust, the embossment is worn off.

Comment

take the filters off and try it..
                pay attention to the difference and post back!

Comment

I have emgo filters (yeah cheap i know). .
                  That is it; there is your problem

Comment

Okay I'll try running it without the filters on. Maybe later today, it's raining right now. If that's it I'd rather not buy K$N. Maybe APE?

Comment

Okay I'll try running it without the filters on. Maybe later today, it's raining right now. If that's it I'd rather not buy K$N. Maybe APE?
                      APE are just as good.. The problem with the EMGO pieces of junk are they are actually smaller in ID than your intake port. It cause shlt airflow, and eventually a bottle neck effect at the head. You're better off running no filters than those things. They dont filter much anyway. The APE models, while half the price of the K&N brand, are nearly throw aways too.. But they'll last a couple seasons for sure They're more designed like the actual KN stuff, so better airflow. KN are the best, but yes they are expensive. However, they're a lifetime filter, you never throw them away..so spend money now, or spend money over the years.. Its a wash really.

Last thing.. Speaking of spending money.

Do yourself a favour and buy the damn Dynojet kit. $120 or so is little to spend considering the amount of time and effort you'll spend trying to "shim" the stock fat bastard needles and dicking around only to find that no matter what you do it will simply fall on its face somewhere in the midrange... I will argue with anyone on here till I die that hand jetting a set of CV carbs for PODS and a PIPE, and actually getting it right, is impossible. The stock needles are simply NOT designed to deal with the amount of fuel needed to accommodate the amount of air pod filters and a pipe will introduce to the system. Period.

Comment

What about the Pingel super pro air filters? Does anyone have any experience with them?
                        Manufacturer and distributor of high performance motorcycle parts and accessories for street and drag. Find fuel valves (petcocks), wheel chocks, air shifters, all electric shifter kits, wheelie bars and more here. Products for Yamaha, Harley-Davidson, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Honda available.

I would like to get some k&n's also but they are a little out of my budget at the moment. Still have a few other things to do to my bike (80 GS1100L) and I found a set of these on the bay for $60 plus $10 shipping.

Comment

Unless you have extensive knowledge of how carbs work and exactly what to change/tune and a dyno, you will never get it right. The DJ kit will set you back 130 + shipping... But you will install it and the bike will run good with very little fiddling...

DO NOT screw with your pilot jets!

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                            APE are just as good.. The problem with the EMGO pieces of junk are they are actually smaller in ID than your intake port. It cause shlt airflow, and eventually a bottle neck effect at the head. You're better off running no filters than those things. They dont filter much anyway. The APE models, while half the price of the K&N brand, are nearly throw aways too.. But they'll last a couple seasons for sure They're more designed like the actual KN stuff, so better airflow. KN are the best, but yes they are expensive. However, they're a lifetime filter, you never throw them away..so spend money now, or spend money over the years.. Its a wash really.
                            I bought the eBay pod filters and have had no issues with them. They work well and they are not smaller than the ID of the carb throat.

Comment

Working...
                            X