Cant seem to get it to run right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cant seem to get it to run right

I have a 80 GS1000 with CV carbs, Pod filters, stock pipes and a DJ Stg3 kit installed. Currently I'm using 165mains, e-clip is set at the 3rd notch with one washer below and two above(not using the stock plastic spacer currently). A/F screws are set at 2.5 full turns out (900* from seated).

Originally I had the e-clip set at the second notch from the top and I had bad throttle response, bogging, and backfiring once warmed up. Today I pulled everything apart, cleaned the carbs again, and moved the clip down one notch (to the 3rd notch). On the first ride after the adjustments, It seemed a lot better but I still had some backfiring after WOT runs. I parked the bike for 1.5hrs and then went for another short ride around the neighborhood and up to the gas station. I didnt have any backfiring durring that trip but it still seemed to hicup/stumble after going WOT.

I dont have a colortune or a carb synchronizer but Im looking into purchasing one of each once the funds allow.

My questions are:
    1. What size colortune do our GS1000's use?
    2. Without the above tools, what can I do to diagnose my issue so I know what I need to do to correct it?
    3. Im sure some of you are going to say 'do a plug chop' sooooo, where do you guys do this? Seems like you need a long stretch of road that allows you to pull over, pull the plugs, and make adjustments?

Sorry for the newb questions, but I appreciate your help!

A stock, 8-valve 1000 comes with 115 mains. Adding pods, but keeping stock pipes might require 125s or so, probably not more than 127.5. Since you say you have a Stage 3 kit, I am going to assume that the 165 mains are DJ165, which translates to 155 Mikuni. To me, it appears that you are WAY too rich on the mains. Did you by chance also get Stage 1 jets in your kit? Might be worth a try.

With your clip in the second notch from the top, you were leaning out the needle circuit. Lowering the clip to the third notch raised the needle. Sorry, but yes, plug chops will be necessary to see how things are running. You may have to lower the clip one more notch before you are done, but probably not.

Mixture screws out 2.5 turns is not too bad, but have you tried turning them to see if it gets any better? I usually start with them out 3 turns. After the bike is warmed up, slowly turn each screw, listening for highest engine idle speed. If you don't notice any increase, turn them IN until you hear a decrease, then back them out about 1/4 turn. You may end up with them back at 2.5, but you won't know unless you try.

Answers:
    1. 14 mm
    2. Plug chops
    3. The length of road necessary changes with the different circuits. For the pilot circuit (low-speed), you need to find a section of road that will allow you to putt along with the throttle just barely open AND HOLD IT THERE for about a mile. At 25-30 mph, that will take a couple of minutes.

For the needle circuit, you need to hold about half throttle, but not for quite as long. Keep in mind that half-throttle in fifth gear won't accelerate nearly as hard as half-throttle in second. Use your higher gears, your readings are based on throttle position, not engine speed or road speed.

For the main circuit, a single blast, probably in third gear, that takes you from 20 mph up to about 70 should do quite well.

The most important things to remember are to keep the throttle position steady, then hit the kill switch and pull the clutch and coast to a stop. Just a few seconds of idling will distort your readings.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The jets that I pulled out of the carbs were 107.5's. The DJ kit comes with 114's, 118's, 165's, and 170's.

Per the DJ instructions:
      Stg1
      "If using stock air box and stock exhaust install DJ114 main jets"
      "If using stock air box and aftermarket high flowing exhaust install DJ118 main jets"
      Stg3
      "If using pod filters or velocity stacks with stock exhaust install DJ165 main jets"
      "If using pod filters or velocity stacks with aftermarket high flowing exhaust install DJ170 main jets"

Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by DrImodium View Post
        Thoughts?
        Just your 'favorite' answer.

Plug chops.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
        X