high idle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

high idle?

ok finally got my charging problem fixed now i have a problem with my bike idling to high somtimes.i searched for an answer already.thought it was my orings or manifold leak but i sprayed solution around boots and it dont seem to be leaking.where else could my leak be coming from??its ridable as is but i like stuff to be right.motor was just rebuilt i sprayed the head gaskets and no leak there either.thank you guys for all your help.gonna get pics of my ride tommorow.oh yea 79 gs750.

Hi,

Spraying various and sundry liquids at your intake boots is not a reliable test. If they are 30 years old, it's time for new intake boots and O-rings. Have you checked things like cables, choke plungers, the idle adjustment screw, a well-sealed airbox, etc? Have the carbs been properly disassembled, dipped, and cleaned? There's lots of information about this stuff available on my website and by using the search function. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

im running k/n pod filters on it.dont know if that has anything to do with it.i guess i will pull the carbs tommorow an see how o rings and boots are.awsome tech on your site.very very helpful.i will keep you posted

Comment

Hi,

Have your carbs been re-jetted for the increased intake due to the pod filters? Do you also have an aftermarket 4-n-1 exhaust? A lean mixture is not good for your GS and other living things.

BassCliff

Comment

not sure about jetting.have stock exaust.i do have my stock airbox.it will rev up when cold then drop to normal idle kind of like the choke is on.then when i gas it it goes back up then drops back down.i unhooked the choke because it was going back down all the way.think i should put the stock air box on then go from there?

Comment

Originally posted by kildrm30 View Post
            not sure about jetting.have stock exaust.i do have my stock airbox.it will rev up when cold then drop to normal idle kind of like the choke is on.then when i gas it it goes back up then drops back down.i unhooked the choke because it was going back down all the way.think i should put the stock air box on then go from there?
            Did PO or you have it rebuilt? As Basscliff said, those are probably old boots and o-rings - don't count on previous owner to have replaced them, or to have rejetted for pods.
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Capitals and spaces after periods. It hurts my "experienced" eye's trying to read posts like this.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Probem solved.Carb boots and orings. Thanks for the help guys almost got her all fixed!!!

Comment

Ok found the orings for sale here. What about carb boots from carb to head?

Comment

Ok found the orings for sale here. What about carb boots from carb to head?
                    Hi,

There's an extensive vendor list in your "mega-welcome" along with a lot of other helpful information.

The best price for intake boots (look on the page with the cylinder head, they're called intake "pipes") would probably be Partshark, Cycle Parts Nation, or G&S Suzuki.

I did a price comparison recently in THIS THREAD.

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                      Capitals and spaces after periods. It hurts my "experienced" eye's trying to read posts like this.
                      Yeah, here, too, but at least all the words had all their letters.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks for all the help

Comment

Working...
                        X