Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another carb sync guide

Hi,

I've finally put together some pictures and documented the carb synchronizing procedure for my bike, or at least how I muddle through it. There's a new PDF file on my little website that I hope will help explain some of the things we talk about around here.

Synchronize Carburetors

Next, I think it will be fork seals.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Perfect timing! I was gonna rebuild my carbs real soon. And it runs a bit choppy. Did anyone tell you that you are awesome? Thanks BassCliff!
    Last edited by Guest; 10-06-2010, 03:07 AM.

Comment

Very nice!
      This is very handy

Comment

Great info....thanks!

Wow, really good information. I just received my carb tune and used it last Saturday. I think I did a good job, but am now sorting out a bit of an idle problem. Anyway, I really like your guide.....I would certainly got the job done faster if I had had your guide a week ago! Thanks for all you contribute to the GS site.

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
          Hi,

I've finally put together some pictures and documented the carb synchronizing procedure for my bike, or at least how I muddle through it. There's a new PDF file on my little website that I hope will help explain some of the things we talk about around here.

Synchronize Carburetors

Next, I think it will be fork seals.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

VERY NICE but when does the movie come out?
          You should hit up TLC for a show on antique UJMs

Comment

THANKS FOR ALL YOU DO, Cliff!
            sigpic

82 GS850
            78 GS1000
            04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
            .................________-|___\____
            ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

First time may take you a while, after that it takes more time to get set up than the actual work. The tool makes it a piece of cake!!

Comment

Awesome guide Basscliff; thank you yet again.

Comment

Thanks so much BassCliff for ALL the great info! But I have to ask you...why do you plug off the vacuum line to the petcock? I can't find that in the Carbtune directions. I just synched my '82 GS 750 and I have to say...the results aren't good.

To clarify though...I had also just adjusted the valves and replaced the valve cover gasket. When it was restarted, it ran bad, so I've been chasing the valves. After having the valve cover off at least 5 times and ruining the gasket, I thought I had better get a new gasket since I was sure the gasket had been damaged. So did that and still have problems. It was acting like it had some kind of air/vacuum leak. I checked that and all was well there. I had come to the conclusion that it had to be the carbs so I was going to re-synch them again when I ran across your timely posting.

Since I didn't plug the petcock vacuum hose, could that have caused a bad synching?

Thanks..
                  sigpic

1974 GT750 ...done, running and sold
                  1974 GT550 .... under construction (done and sold)
                  1978 GS550........all stock, running (going to do 550/650 build with it)
                  1978 GS1000...another project (Given to son #2)
                  1982 GS750EZ ...daily driver(given to son#1)
                  1982 GS1100G...completed and traded to son #2 for the 750 back
                  1982 GS750EZ...daily driver (got it back in trade with son #2)
                  1983 GR650 Tempter.... engine rebuild completed (and sold)

Comment

Originally posted by Super View Post
                    Since I didn't plug the petcock vacuum hose, could that have caused a bad synching?

Thanks..
                    If the line isn't hooked up to the petcock, it must be capped or you will have a vacuum leak. Your synch tool is measuring vacuum.
                    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Originally posted by Super View Post
                      Yes - big time. You'll need to do it again - just pop a bolt in the end of the hose to block it off.
                      79 GS1000S
                      79 GS1000S (another one)
                      80 GSX750
                      80 GS550
                      80 CB650 cafe racer
                      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

It's a real big vacuum leak if you don't plug off the line that goes to the petcock. It pulls vacuum from cylinder 2 (at least on my 550L). That one cylinder is wildly out of sync if you didn't plug off that hose.

Comment

Thanks Renobruce,Hampshirehog and Mith...I will re-synch!! That explains a LOT of things. And to think I was chasing the valve adjustments and gasket all this time...

I wonder why I never saw that in the directions that can with the Carbtune? Oh well, at least I know now.

Thanks all! This site is awesome!
                          sigpic

1974 GT750 ...done, running and sold
                          1974 GT550 .... under construction (done and sold)
                          1978 GS550........all stock, running (going to do 550/650 build with it)
                          1978 GS1000...another project (Given to son #2)
                          1982 GS750EZ ...daily driver(given to son#1)
                          1982 GS1100G...completed and traded to son #2 for the 750 back
                          1982 GS750EZ...daily driver (got it back in trade with son #2)
                          1983 GR650 Tempter.... engine rebuild completed (and sold)

Comment

Working...
                          X