Second guessing myself (carb question)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Second guessing myself (carb question)

I am starting to second guess something I did last night and can not find a definitive answer. I soaked the main body of my carb in berrymans for 24hrs and then I sprayed out all of the ports with carb cleaner. Then this is where I may have gone wrong, I dunked the carb in a bucket of hot water to rinse it off and then I wiped it dry as I could get it with a clean rag. At the end I blow dried it. IS what I did ok? Thank you

Yup!

Spyug

Comment

Sounds good to me.....now do the other three.
      Larry D
      1980 GS450S
      1981 GS450S
      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

well I have the bowl soaking

Comment

Originally posted by russellhartzell View Post
          I am starting to second guess something I did last night and can not find a definitive answer. I soaked the main body of my carb in berrymans for 24hrs and then I sprayed out all of the ports with carb cleaner. Then this is where I may have gone wrong, I dunked the carb in a bucket of hot water to rinse it off and then I wiped it dry as I could get it with a clean rag. At the end I blow dried it. IS what I did ok? Thank you
          It's a good start. Now shoot some spray carb cleaner into each of the fuel passages in the carb bodies, and make sure it comes out the same place on all of the carbs. Make sure the spray pattern is uniform at the tiny ports under the mixture screws, etc. Also shoot some though the choke passage in the float bowl itself.

You might want some safety glasses for this.
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

ABSOLUTELY.

well I have the bowl soaking
            Why didn't you soak the bowl with the carb body?
            In fact, do ALL the parts for one carb at the same time, carb body, float bowl, all the jets.

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            It's a good start. Now shoot some spray carb cleaner into each of the fuel passages in the carb bodies, ...

You might want some safety glasses for this.
            Correction: you WILL want safety glasses for this.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Honestly the reason I did not do all the parts at once is because the tutorial does them separately and I blame following orders on being in the military!!! I found carb two is missing a drain screw, so where do i get one?

Comment

Honestly the reason I did not do all the parts at once is because the tutorial does them separately and I blame following orders on being in the military!!! I found carb two is missing a drain screw, so where do i get one?
                I have one
                no wait what year and model bike?
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

It is a 1982 GS650G

Comment

I do have one then
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

When I do mine , after the berryman's I rinse with water then spray with brake cleaner- leaves no residue

Comment

"You might want some safety glasses for this."

Required anytime compressed air and gas/carb cleaners are combined. Either in the eye will change your attitude towards safety glasses very quickly.

Ask me how I know.
                        Yamaha fz1 2007

Comment

Chef how much do you want for the screw

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
                            When I do mine , after the berryman's I rinse with water then spray with brake cleaner- leaves no residue
                            Agree. Rinse with hot water after the carb dip and then spray the passages with carb cleaner to verify they are open and flush the water through.
                            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                            X