Leaky petcock & carb w/ oil in fuel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaky petcock & carb w/ oil in fuel

Hi everyone! I'm new here. Tried a search and came up with a few threads similar, but not exact...

I recently purchased a '77 GS 750 with 12,000 miles on it. It's in pretty good shape, runs and has very few cosmetic dings. One issue I'm concerned about is a leaky petcock and carb. If I switch the petcock to prime (or reserve, can't remember) it begins to leak. After the bike has been running and is shut off, some fuel spills out one of the carb overflow tubes. Today I noticed the fuel that spilt on the ground had oil in it! Does that mean I blew a head gasket? Bike still runs...

Thanks for you input.

Does that mean I blew a head gasket?

No..It means your leaky petcock has allowed gas to mix with your oil. Don't run the bike until you drain all the oil out and replace it with fresh oil. I would also replace the petcock or it's going to happen again.

Comment

Thanks. That's good news. Do you recommend one of the K&L rebuild kits available online?

Comment

Originally posted by GS750cafe View Post
        Thanks. That's good news. Do you recommend one of the K&L rebuild kits available online?
        You mean for the petcock? My impression is that NOONE recommends them... apparently they are quite shoddy.

Comment

Thanks guys. Just read Al's suggestion for OEM parts in another post. I'll see if I can't find something through Partshark or Z1 enterprizes.

Comment

Try z1 enterprises for a new petcock (my first choice) or one of the oem suppliers like partshark or babbits.

Comment

Working...
            X