Problems with 83 gs550es

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by David_510 View Post
    I've got blade gauages... So im all good just waiting for my gasket... Hopefully i can have this thing running good soon..
    don't forget to order your biscuits to go with your "reusable" gasket you ordered.

Comment

Valve Clearances - Check

Carburator cleaned - Semi-check
      Problems : I can't remove 2 of the pilot jets.. They will not come out. However i can blow carb cleaner right through them so they are not clogged.

Intake boots - still need new ones..

New Battery - Check

And yet the damned thing won't run when it's cold... It won't run with the choke on either.. I have to start it with the choke completely off. Any ideas? The air screws are adjusted 1 1/2 turns out. I've moved them from there all the way to 3 turns out stopping at every 1/2 turn to test.. No difference. Maybe i need to get some mercury gauges and balance the carbs? Or could this all stem from a leaky intake boot?

Comment

carb cleaning

Problems : I can't remove 2 of the pilot jets.. They will not come out. However i can blow carb cleaner right through them so they are not clogged.
        You have to remove those two pilot jets that are seized. Even though you can blow carb cleaner through them, it does not mean they are not restricted. There is a VERY small orifice at the tip of the jet and that needs to be unrestricted. I would really check the other 2 you say have been cleaned to make sure they are unrestricted. Also, do NOT use starting fluid to try to start your bike. Clean the carbs thoroughly,bench sync and install ALL parts properly. Prime and it and it should start with choke like it did 10 yrs ago. Bob

Comment

Well, after trying to remove the 2 jets that were seized (Soaked the whole carb in cleaner, put some oil in the screws, tried a whole bunch of stuff) i was told to try and drill them out.... Well i tried this and all it did was drill out the center of the pilot jet.. IM still STUCK with the jets inside...

So time for a new carb? And if i can't find one i guess bike meets junk yard

Comment

Don't junk it. I have a set if you can't fix yours.

Comment

I can't fix mine. Took I too two cycle shops and each one told me that if reverse drilling it didn't work there's not much else. I tried an easy outand had no success either...

Comment

I've done it!!!

She runs smooth now, takes off great and Everything!!!
                Only thing now is she is idling about 1400 rpms and i see a few drops of gas leaking... I have no clue where it is dripping from and not sure why..

I think im going to leave her be idling at 1400. Great pickup and doesn't bog at a full throttle.. Im nto sure how i would lower the idle (air fuel mixture screws?) But since i am running bigger jets (110 and 107.5) i think im going to let it be where it is at.. Another thing im noticing is the 3&4 cylinders (right side of the bike if your sitting on it) seem to be running a tid bit richer than the 1&2 cyclinders. So im thinking i should take the screws out another half turn to lean it out some... Is this correct?

Comment

Originally posted by David_510 View Post
                  I've done it!!!

She runs smooth now, takes off great and Everything!!!
                  Only thing now is she is idling about 1400 rpms and i see a few drops of gas leaking... I have no clue where it is dripping from and not sure why..

I think im going to leave her be idling at 1400. Great pickup and doesn't bog at a full throttle.. Im nto sure how i would lower the idle (air fuel mixture screws?) But since i am running bigger jets (110 and 107.5) i think im going to let it be where it is at.. Another thing im noticing is the 3&4 cylinders (right side of the bike if your sitting on it) seem to be running a tid bit richer than the 1&2 cyclinders. So im thinking i should take the screws out another half turn to lean it out some... Is this correct?
                  What fixed the problem?

Comment

Working...
                  X