No announcement yet.

Problems with 83 gs550es

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your local dealer will have them or order from someone online like gssuzuki.com or one like it. And yes it would be best to do it then. Also, get with GhostGS1 about the shim club...definitely a lot better than trying to buy some from a dealer.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by David_510 View Post
      Where do i get new half moons from? For when i do the valve clearance?

Again, start from the beginning.

I don't know what half moons are.

You can buy shims online from many places, and usually your local shop will have a reasonable assortment as well.

You may not have to change your shims.

Go make your measurements and see if you need to. Sometimes, it's a matter of switching 3 or 4 of the ones you already have around, and you need only buy 1 or 2.

Start from the beginning.

Comment

I don't need shims for my bike.. If i understand correctly....

So i should get the half moons from a dealer? I look on gssuzuki.com and can't find anything
        Last edited by Guest; 10-22-2010, 03:35 PM.

Comment

I don't need shims for my bike.. If i understand correctly....

So i should get the half moons from a dealer? I look on gssuzuki.com and can't find anything

Um... GS550's are shim-over-bucket valve design...

Shims are how you adjust valve clearances.

Comment

That's because you won't have half moons on your bike. Just looked at the fiche and yours is part of the cylinder head gasket itself, part number 11173-43402 sold for about $28 at GSSuzuki. But I would still talk to your dealer and check other parts houses online. You'll find the decent ones in Basscliff's welcome he gave you.

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

It also looks like you'll have a tappet adjustment on that bike. Look at this fiche of your bike (83 550 ES) in the Cam Shaft section

http://www.gssuzuki.com/fiche_sectio...1983&fveh=2109

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

ok... well isn't the '83 550esd a 16v? From everything i've read it is.... And accordingto the guide on basscliffs guide... The valve clearance is adjusted by a screw.. Not shims...

Comment

Ok... So the gasket i need is one peice... I haven't taken it apart yet.. Waiting to get all the parts before i start it..

Comment

You still need to check your valve clearances...

Comment

ya... ima check those once i get the gasket for it... That way i don't tear it apart and have to wait tilll i get the gasket to put it togethor.. I hate having things tore apart waiting for parts to re-assemble it.

Comment

Hi,

Check the valve adjustment guide for the 16-valve engines on my little website. You don't necessarily need to buy special tappet tools. The author of the guide (Mr. basic) made his own. It does help to have two feeler gauges when performing the adjustments.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I've got blade gauages... So im all good just waiting for my gasket... Hopefully i can have this thing running good soon..

Comment

Ok so after months of sitting im back working on it... Heres a problem i ran across. I found the answer somewhere on the internet but can't find it again...

So i'll ask here... On my 83 suzuki it's a dual carb... Well i have 2 different jets... One is a 95 the other is a 102.... Now which one goes where? Do the bigger ones go on the Inside? and the smaller outside? Or the smaller inside and the bigger outside?

Comment

Ok so after months of sitting im back working on it... Heres a problem i ran across. I found the answer somewhere on the internet but can't find it again...

So i'll ask here... On my 83 suzuki it's a dual carb... Well i have 2 different jets... One is a 95 the other is a 102.... Now which one goes where? Do the bigger ones go on the Inside? and the smaller outside? Or the smaller inside and the bigger outside?
                              According to diagrams at Alpha-sports.com, looks like bigger jets go on inside carbs. Someone else will corroborate this to be sure!
                              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Main Jet for # 1&4 = Mikuni #95
                                Main Jet for #2&3 = Mikuni #102.5
                                Per service manual

Comment

Working...
                                X