79 gs1000 carb question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79 gs1000 carb question?

I just bought a 79 GS1000 and i need to clean the carbs. I am having some trouble finding any carb kits for them. I found some on Bikebandit but they dont come with very much. I read The online Carb cleaning procedure and also printed it out before realizing that i dont have the same carbs..lol Any info on the kits or do you really think i would need them. I would feel better knowing i had them if i needed a gasket. Dont want to waste money either. Also any online tutorial like the one for the cv carbs?

Thanks Krank

Contact www.cycleorings.com for the orings and start from there. And you'll find the VM tutorial on Basscliff's site on the right hand side.

Last edited by cowboyup3371; 10-28-2010, 02:32 PM. Reason: Added link
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Thanks Cowboy. Sometime's i look so hard i dont see anything..lol

Is there anything that I should have a hand to start. Any common parts that should be replaced with a carb clean/rebuild. I would like to have what i need before I start so can go start to finish.

Thanks Krank

Comment

For one you don't need the carb kit usually. Maybe a float bowl gasket or two.
        Now if someone has messed with them ? you may have a broken fuel needle then it would pay to get the kits. Check the kit not all of them are the same

Comment

Kits are generally inferior products and not worth it.

Only buy o-rings, and any broken parts OEM or from motorcyclecarbs.com
          Yamaha fz1 2007

Comment

thanks guys for the help. I will tear into them and see what i have.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. kranker1450,

You'll find lots of GS lovin' on my little website. Welcome.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

thanks basscliff. The knowledge on this board is great!!

I do have one more question for everyone though. How do you get the freakin air box off!!! It is driving me crazy..

Comment

You pull the carbs out by pulling up at the back then pulling them back

You don't pull out the air box unless you need to

Go back to BassCliff's site and download the service manual
                  1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                  1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                  1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                  1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                  1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                  1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                  2007 DRz 400S
                  1999 ATK 490ES
                  1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Get your gaskets at Z1. http://www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=311
                    http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Working...
                    X