how to make your petcock turn off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to make your petcock turn off

I don't ride my gs everyday, Its mainly a back-up and bad weather bike. so the petcock needs an "off" feature.

1. take the petcock off of the bike, good time to give it a good scrub.

2. take this plate off with a small phillips/cross screwdriver

3. file the tab off of the top. now the 12 o'clock position is off. basically you have looped the prime and petcock to carb together, and the on and reserve together. so no fuel will flow from the tank past the petcock.

4. the little lever on mine will now hit the tank, only a small piece needs to be filed off to clear it.

5. I do not use the "prime" function and it was not sealed in the other positions creating an off balance carb setup. so I did away with it. I just spun the square gasket so the hole did not line up. I also spun it and plugged it. and remember to seal off the carb and re-sync them

That is exactly how I do them, PRI still works.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Looks like a lot of work when there are already TWO "OFF" positions built in to the stock petcock.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        Looks like a lot of work when there are already TWO "OFF" positions built in to the stock petcock.

Unless you want a real live for sure nothing flowing no matter what off.
        Lot of work? Two minutes max with a Dremel. If you are in a hurry you can snap them off with pliers.
        When I park something for a long time I want to know it's really off.

Comment

Why would you want an off when they are vacuum operated? This maybe a stupid question to some but I just don't understand why you would want an off.

Comment

Because the vacuum ones don't always shut off completely, even when they are in good shape. This way you are sure. You still have the normal on and reserve, nothing has changed there. I don't use the new position very often. Around town, parked outside for a while, if I'm home to notice gas fumes, I don't bother. When I park it in the garage for a few days, especially if I won't be home for a long time, I use the new Off position. It just seems safer to me.
            Another advantage is you can shut off the gas a few blocks before you get home if you want the carbs empty to work on them or whatever.
            Last edited by tkent02; 10-30-2010, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

so what are the 2 off positions?

Comment

Originally posted by Jason the terminator View Post
                Why would you want an off when they are vacuum operated? This maybe a stupid question to some but I just don't understand why you would want an off.
                the weight of 2 and a half gallons of fuel on thin rubber diaphragms sometimes has a tendency to leak as mine was.

Comment

Originally posted by Richharr View Post
                  the weight of 2 and a half gallons of fuel on thin rubber diaphragms sometimes has a tendency to leak as mine was.
                  All you need was a 20-cent 4x8x2mm o-ring and a $3.99 fuel shutoff from Autozone. You could use the fuel shutoff when storing the bike and vacuum shutoff if you forget. I use this setup just to empty the carbs and the fuel shutoff is under tank unseen.

Comment

I'd rather save the 20 cents and the $3.99 and save the addition of another hose connection to leak. This way is completely foolproof.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                      I'd rather save the 20 cents and the $3.99 and save the addition of another hose connection to leak. This way is completely foolproof.
                      There is no foolproof on motorcycle petcocks. They fail more often then GS stators. But if someone wants to mod their $50 petcock instead of fixing it with a 20-cent o-ring from Ace Hardware, more power to them. The fuel shutoff is just what I use for backup and carb drainage.

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
                        But if someone wants to mod their $50 petcock instead of fixing it with a 20-cent o-ring from Ace Hardware, more power to them.
                        What am I not fixing? It's a new petcock. Tell me one disadvantage to this mod? How can it possibly hurt to be able to shut the fuel off completely?

Comment

I don't see any issue with it. As a matter of fact, there was someone a few weeks ago who had a question just like this. He became offended when I responded to his post so I was unable to explain how to figure this out - his loss.
                          OTOH, I would not use an Ace Hardware o-ring. There are special rubber compounds made for fuel immersion (viton?). You can find them at sites such as McMaster-Carr (http://www.mcmaster.com/#o-rings/=9ii3nb).
                          I have never had a vacuum petcock leak (my first one was on my T200) but I did replace my GS petcock because it was too stiff (most likely a swollen o-ring).

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                            What am I not fixing? It's a new petcock. Tell me one disadvantage to this mod? How can it possibly hurt to be able to shut the fuel off completely?
                            When a vacuum petcock leaks in the on or reserve position it needs repair of replaced. If your going to get new petcock why not just get one with out vacuum shutoff? No disadvantage just seems rigged and unprofessional.

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
                              If your going to get new petcock why not just get one with out vacuum shutoff? [/FONT][/FONT]
                              Because then you have to shut it off every time you park it. If you forget, gasoline can go all over the place. If you forget to turn it back on the engine quits maybe right when you need it. All the reasons they went to vacuum petcocks in the first place. This changes nothing, except it adds one more position, the ability to completely shut it off. I especially like the fact that I can shut it off on the way home and the float bowls will be almost empty when I get there if I time it right. Much better if it is going to sit quite a while than leaving the carbs full, especially with higher and higher alcohol levels in the fuel.
                              I am not trying to convince anyone to do this that doesn't want to. I like it on mine.

Comment

Working...
                              X