how to make your petcock turn off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Graham View Post
    There is no foolproof on motorcycle petcocks. They fail more often then GS stators. But if someone wants to mod their $50 petcock instead of fixing it with a 20-cent o-ring from Ace Hardware, more power to them. The fuel shutoff is just what I use for backup and carb drainage.
    $50 dollar petcock? no foolproof? my $30 pingel petcock on my shovelhead has never leaked, has a reserve, off and on, pretty foolproof, also 30 years old. I dont care about spending money, but from riding for 11 years and owning almost every brand, the simple designs were always the best, ducati desmodronic, harley big twin single cam, etc. so in my opinion, and its just that, I understand not everyone shares my views, I'm not trying to argue, just show why I would do this. I was just going to patch the hole and weld in a harley or triumph bung so I could run a no non-sense set-up.

and I don't think I even have $50 into this bike, including the purchase price

Comment

Originally posted by Richharr View Post
      $50 dollar petcock? no foolproof? my $30 pingel petcock on my shovelhead has never leaked, has a reserve, off and on, pretty foolproof, also 30 years old. I dont care about spending money, but from riding for 11 years and owning almost every brand, the simple designs were always the best, ducati desmodronic, harley big twin single cam, etc. so in my opinion, and its just that, I understand not everyone shares my views, I'm not trying to argue, just show why I would do this. I was just going to patch the hole and weld in a harley or triumph bung so I could run a no non-sense set-up.

and I don't think I even have $50 into this bike, including the purchase price
      I should have said jap motorcycle. My mistake. A Suzuki GS petcock is right around $50. A Harley petcock would be a better way to go then stock jap.

Comment

A Suzuki GS petcock is right around $50.
        Haven't bought a petcock in a while?
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by Richharr View Post
          so what are the 2 off positions?
          The two OFF positions are RUN and REServe.

When in those two positions, the petcock should turn off when the engine is stopped.
          I say "should" because you are still relying on a small spring to push the diaphargm back into place and seal the fuel port with that little o-ring. If the spring is a little weak or the o-ring does not seal completely, it can leak.

Although this is a possibility, I have not had that happen to any of my bikes, so have not looked into ways to fix it. This way would work.

A Suzuki GS petcock is right around $50.
          Actually, I just looked up the price for an '81 850G. It retails for 101.xx and is discounted to 75.xx at G&S Suzuki.
          It would be nice if they were "only" $50.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Actually, I just looked up the price for an '81 850G. It retails for 101.xx and is discounted to 75.xx at G&S Suzuki.
            It would be nice if they were "only" $50.

whoa!!!! a little crazy if you ask me.

Comment

Try ebay.

I have use chinese on Suzuki's but you'll need to drill the fuel holes bigger.

A Suzuki King Quad or 87 750 Ninga petcock will fit too. There are more that will work.

Comment

I just acquired an "extra" fuel tank for my '79 GS1000E, naturally I'm filling it with gas and checking for leaks, no leaks from the tank, however when in the "PRI" and "RES" position the petcock does not completely shut off,
                has a "slow leak" so I'm debating what to do about that if anything.
                Alot of options listed here to consider.
                sigpic
                Steve
                "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

is there anything else that I have to compensate for other than plugging the vacuum from the #3 carb and plugging the vacuum from the petcock?

Will the carbs operate properly with the #3 vacuum plugged?

Thanks!

Comment

Wish I'd known about this in June... would have saved me a hell of a lot of hassle fitting the 750/1100 tank to my GS1000 (The petcock that I had that would clear the carb had a slow leak & the other two good petcocks wouldn't clear the carbs).

As it was only a very slow leak & a temporary tank I would have done this & called it good...

1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
                      I just acquired an "extra" fuel tank for my '79 GS1000E, naturally I'm filling it with gas and checking for leaks, no leaks from the tank, however when in the "PRI" and "RES" position the petcock does not completely shut off,
                      has a "slow leak" so I'm debating what to do about that if anything.
                      Alot of options listed here to consider.
                      I eventually got all my leaky petcocks fixed, just took some patience,
                      seals, and a little tinkering.
                      sigpic
                      Steve
                      "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Working...
                      X