78 GS1000E Leaky Petcock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

78 GS1000E Leaky Petcock

Almost got all the bugs worked out of my rebuild. When I bought this project, I received in the box o' stuff a rebuild kit for the petcock. After rebuilding the petcock, still leaking.

Off to Z1 Enterprises for one of their universal petcocks. This is where I ran into a problem.

Not being mechanically competent, I tried to get the universal petcock to fit. When I realized that the reservoir was a little bigger than the stock opening in the gas tank, I took a flat head screw driver and a hammer and tapped one side in until the reservoir was clear and I was able to attach the petcock to the gas tank.

This is where the trouble begins. I warped the metal on the gas tank by hacking the opening to get the reservoir to fit in. The surface is no longer flat and I cannot get the leaks to stop because of this.

My question is, can I use Permatex Liquid Metal Filler to level out the area so that the petcock seats perfectly again to the bottom of the gas tank?

Has anyone even tried to do this? I received a suggestion that I take an old inner tube and cut it to twice the size of the O ring and place that between the tank and petcock. I still have a small, maybe 1mm gap that is leaking.

The Liquid Metal Filler is gas and oil resistant and I figured that I could use this in the same fashion as bondo and smooth it out and then sand it to seat properly. I still plan on using the O ring and another piece of the inner tube to make a good seal to the bottom of the tank.

I already tried to use a gas and oil resistant sealant, with no success.

I'm just wondering if someone here has tried the liquid metal filler and had success with this.

And, if so, any suggestions on how to do it right the first time? I'm thinking of putting a 6" bead of this stuff on some aluminum that I have laying around and playing with it a little bit so that I know what I'm dealing with.

OH GEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!

Well, I have not used anything like that in a manner that you are explaining however, anything that I have ever seen in direct contact with fuel, and "goes on" plasic like, will end up, plastic like over time. Maybe try several layers of POR 15 and a good block sanding. It will need to be within +- .002.

Comment

One of my friends recomended building up a layer of silver solder and then filing it flat.

Comment

"This is where the trouble begins"

Actually, it began when you decided to make it fit!
        Try removing petcock assembly. Then try using something ( small brake adjuster tool, etc.) to bend the tank surface back out to you; maybe you can then peen it flat enough for a sealer to work- I've used Permatex with some success.But it's going to have to be fairly flat as was mentioned.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Another rare and elusive skunk tank disappears. I would make a flat steel plate to the fit the petcock mounting surface, drill the holes it needs, and have it brazed or soldered to the tank by a professional. The extra heat of welding would be likely to warp the new piece.

Good luck.
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
          X