Have a carb/pod question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have a carb/pod question

So I have an 82 GS550L, and I'm putting K&N pod filters on it. Do I need to leave the side covers on it to properly tune the carbs? I like the bobber/minimalist look, but somebody told me I'll have a hard time getting it to run right because of air flow/turbulance while riding if I leave them uncovered. At the same time I see plenty of pics of bikes with nothing covering thier pods. So was this bad advice, or is there some truth to this?

Hi,

Sidecovers will make no difference in carb tuning. However, the vent tubes for the carbs should probably be removed since there is no airbox to drape them over.

I was riding a friend's bike (thanks Mr. Griffin) and started experiencing some surging and bogging. When I reached my destination I realized that I had lost the right side cover. The cross wind was causing turbulence behind the airbox where the carb vent tubes were hanging. The side cover keeps the vent tube ends in relatively calm air. I think the same can be accomplished by completely removing the vent tubes from the carbs' vent ports.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Is there anything you don't know?

Comment

We have taught Cliff well ! He's a great benefit to the forum

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
          We have taught Cliff well ! He's a great benefit to the forum
          Hi,

Yes, there is a lot I don't know. And, yes, I have tried my best to lean from all the real gurus here, including Ms. SqDancerLynn1.

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by Highway_Glider
            Wouldn't removing the tubes entirely allow dirt to enter the carbs?

Shouldn't the end pieces of the tubes be left or the holes plugged?

DP
            Shouldnt be a problem eith dirt getting in there unless you are off-roading. You cant plug them they are called vent tubes for a reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Highway_Glider
              Wouldn't removing the tubes entirely allow dirt to enter the carbs?
              Hi,

That's a valid point. But the vent lines are left open when they are laying behind the airbox. There really shouldn't be any more chance of dirt getting sucked into the carbs if the lines are removed from the vent ports. The two vent ports are basically sitting behind the cylinders, between the carb bodies.

I suppose if you're worried about it you could use something like this on a very short hose:

Hopefully it wouldn't be too restrictive.

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                Hopefully it wouldn't be too restrictive.
                Restriction is not an issue. The only time there is any "real" airflow through the vents is when the carb bowls are empty and you are filling them with the PRIME function on the petcock. Any other time, there is virtually NO airflow through the vents, they just provide an atmospheric reference for the venturis to do their job properly.

By the way, the airflow through the vent tubes while priming the carbs would hardly be termed "considerable".

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                  Hi,

Yes, there is a lot I don't know. And, yes, I have tried my best to lean from all the real gurus here, including Ms. SqDancerLynn1.

BassCliff

Oh my a mutual admiration group.......

Comment

I've been running without vent hoses for years
                    No problem
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Have a look at post #361 of this thread to see what Midnight Cafe did with his vent hose... I think it's a great idea:

1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Working...
                      X