GS being naughty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS being naughty

I did some tests with my GS after I cleaned the carbs. I'm looking at buying the carbtune pro to sync my carbs. Until then, I'm figuring out a way to approach whats going on with my 2 wheeler.

First off, it bogs when I open the throttle quickly (but not super fast)
    and if I don't roll off the throttle it will bog all the way down and shut off.
    Say if I let off the throttle a little bit, it catches itself and then goes.

Second, the low speed manners 20-30 have slight surging.

Third, I was pushing it hard in 2nd gear and it wouldn't go past 7000rpm
    Now, this might sound unnecessary but correct me if I'm wrong, these machines are built to pull all the way up past 7K right? And to add to that, In 5th gear, full throttle, it will not break 85mph. Mind you this is a 78'GS750.

It just doesn't have all the power, and the powerband itself feels very inconsistent. Last time I checked, I got around 23mpg. Bad.

Do you guys think a good sync/mixure screws would do me well?
    Keep in mind:new carb boots w/ orings, sprayed for vaccum leaks couldn't find any, dipped carbs, new orings from cycle orings, needles in good shape. No aftermark junky parts. Float hight set the best I can 24mm, ignition funtion is good new dyna s, coils, wires...now timing might need to recheck. But it just doesn't seem like thats the issue.
    Start with sync and mixture screws? what do the symptoms above point to?

I call upon the wholly great ones

How many threads are you going to have on this?
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
      How many threads are you going to have on this?
      well, I just wanted to see what people's thoughts were on my test run. is it to much?

Comment

what do your plugs loook like?? black?white?brown? compression check?... yes syncing the carbs sounds like a good idea to me... after a good valve adjustment of course. check basscliffs site.

Comment

It would be better if you kept it in one thread but I know how frustrating it can be waiting for answers. If you haven't gotten the carbs synched yet, you are spinning your wheels and I'm not sure what your exhaust setup is. I'll tell you a little about mine. My setup is in my signature. I had to rebuild a set of carbs that through ignorance I sent to Wired George to build for my setup. Big mistake, super lean. I installed a DJ stage three kit and made all the recommended settings. It would not accelerate smoothly through the mid range to red line. It felt like it would hit a wall at about 7000RPM. Finally it started fouling out plugs, and I knew it was too rich. I raised the clips in order to drop the needles to lean it out, this put the needles lower than recommended, but it is what my motor required. It accelerated to red line, but still wasn't quite right. At this point, I did the vacuum synch, and things started working a lot better. I learned at this point that the air adjust on my carbs might not show more than a half to a whole needle width in rise or fall while adjusting but those adjustments made a huge difference in idle (no loping), power when starting from a stop, and low speed (no surging at 25 to 30MPH). The air adjust also completely cleared up the stumble, mid range through red line. I hope some of this helps. My journey to learning how to get these VM carbs dialed in spanned several riding seasons.
          http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Working...
          X